A 30-year failure (Healthcare)

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I'd want a full body massage and dinner with copious amount of wine, for that price.:shooter:

And a happy ending?

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I also got a haircut last Saturday at Fantastic Sam's, a franchise chain.  It was $45.00 plus tip.  The operator mentioned that business has been very, very slow.  I guess most of their customers prefer to eat than go to a barber shop. 

The price for one of our prescriptions at Walmart Pharmacy tripled since the last time we renewed it.  The pharmacist suggested downloading a discount coupon on our phone.  The result is a 40% discount based on the new price using the coupon.  Wait a minute!  The net amount is still an increase.  The company offering the coupon now has our name, address, phone number and details about our prescription.  

The only positive news is the annual flu shot.  Ours is free under Medicare.  The government is billed $170 each for the vaccine and service.  A woman came to the counter during our visit and asked for the price since she had no insurance.  The pharmacist informed her that if she signed a paper that the price quoted was unaffordable, the Lilly Foundation would be billed.  The Eli Lilly corporation is the largest manufacturer of diabetes drugs, insulin and flu vaccines and this foundation was established by the family that started the business.  The Lilly Foundation recently donated $100 million to the National Parks Service to supplement their budget.

so are you moving back to the Philippines? 

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 8/15/2024 at 11:47 AM, hk blues said:

and an extraction here a month back

I would venture to guess the Dentists in the Philippines are the world leaders/experts when it comes to tooth extractions. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

so are you moving back to the Philippines? 

We return to the Philippines and stay 2 to 4 months every year starting November or December when the weather is slightly cooler and dry.  More than 100 days a year is spent on cruise ships because it is cheaper than paying for a hotel, car rental, food and daily expenses in the United States.  (We are homeless and sold our RV a few months ago.)  The only item that remains reasonable is a Mexican Lavanderia where they wash and press our laundry at a cost of $15 per week.  

Permanently moving back to the Philippines will happen when we need caregiver services.  I have a source in the United States who can provide a Filipina, possibly a former weightlifter who can lift you like a sack of potatoes, at $3,000 plus food and lodging per month.  They prefer to stay at home and not go out because, shall we say, "their immigration status is questionable."  From an established agency, the estimated price is $6,000 per month plus Social Security, Medicare, Unemployment Insurance.  Overtime after 8 hours.  And you better speak Spanish. 

We can pay P40,000 in the Philippines and the person might be someone who dropped out of nursing school from lack of funds.  Or a very strong domestic helper for P8,000 per month plus food and lodging.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 8/26/2024 at 7:29 PM, scott h said:

At least when I deal with peso's I have to stop and convert it in my head so the shock settles in slowly :hystery:

I am waiting for the next McDonalds global price index for a Big Mac combo.  The last one I recall had Israel at the top at more than $20.00 and the Philippines at the bottom at less than $4.00.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Mike J said:

I take six maintenance drugs.  Sounds like a lot, and it is, but I am old.  In the USA each of those drugs would require a prescription.  Here I can go to The Generic Pharmacy and get all six by jotting them down on a piece of paper.  I do see a doctor occasionally to make sure the stuff inside my body is still making the right kind of noises.  The point of this post is that I can buy all six of those meds for less than what my co-pay was in the USA and that was 11 years ago and fewer meds.  

Time to check Philippine prices for medication during our next visit.  To be fair, some generic prescriptions are very cheap.  For two of them, I pay $10 for a three months' supply.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Time to check Philippine prices for medication during our next visit.  To be fair, some generic prescriptions are very cheap.  For two of them, I pay $10 for a three months' supply.  

Start with The Generic Pharmacy.  The meds have always worked for me.  Some folks refuse to go there, thinking the meds may be of inferior quality.  I suspect the pharmacies order their meds from the same sources.  My opinion of course.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I suspect the pharmacies order their meds from the same sources.

I think your right, normally go to Mercury, but when they are out of brand name usually Watson is also and both have the same "generic" substitute.

About price, My wife's medicine is covered (with deductible) by our medical insurance. But the paperwork needed to submit (to Singapore) with updated prescriptions all the time. Wait for the check, deposit the check, wait for it to clear. Whelp the prices here are so cheap, my time and lack of stress are worth more that the payment.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I am waiting for the next McDonalds global price index for a Big Mac combo.  The last one I recall had Israel at the top at more than $20.00 and the Philippines at the bottom at less than $4.00.

Latest update as of July '24 - Big Mac Only, not combo -

Switzerland top at $8.07 (Israel is way down at $4.52)

Philippines 6th bottom at $2.86

US is at $5.69

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Latest update as of July '24 - Big Mac Only, not combo -

Switzerland top at $8.07 (Israel is way down at $4.52)

Philippines 6th bottom at $2.86

US is at $5.69

Thanks.  The last one I saw was a combo, which included small fries and a drink.