Malaysia, Singapore and the Philippines started with nothing after the war how they differed

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, scott h said:

But probably the biggest reason is they had the misfortune to be colonized by the Spanish. Spain's track record of successful formal colonies is very slim.

:89: That was in the 1500's and they left in the 1800's so plenty of time to recuperate in my view :tiphat: Even the Brits had  for a while Then the US, SO! maybe reasons are being  confused with Excuses

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

But probably the biggest reason is they had the misfortune to be colonized by the Spanish. Spain's track record of successful formal colonies is very slim.

I've been in many former Spanish colonies which were ruled by the Spanish Friars. It does appear corruption seems to be a lasting feature.

We like going to historical places. Many state the churchs and bridges were built by the Spanish. Wife says the Spanish never built squat, forced labor of Filipinos built them. True, Filipinos would have used wood, bamboo, palm fronds and eventually 4 inch block.

graham59
Posted
Posted

One only needs look to Central and South America's Spanish 'heritage'...and of course, the Catholic church. 😏

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Possum said:

A very small example of how good governance is cheaper than bad.

Just a bit off topic but I found this article interesting.  I am betting there was no problem was with the breathalyzers.  Years ago I was safety director for a trucking company.  I invited a member of the state patrol to give a talk to our drivers.  A portion of that talk had to do with DUI and the process a LEO would go thru when stopping someone they thought was drinking.

Prior to his/her shift the machine had to be checked for calibration.  There is a kit that comes with each machine whose sole purpose is to make sure the machine is correctly calibrated.  A log entry must be made of the check.  No log entry, no conviction of DUI.

As part of the talk, I (being the safety guy) was ask to drink a beer and then be tested.  The test immediately following consumption showed a level of 0.0 zero.  The patrolman explained that the drink was in my stomach, not in my blood, and so would not show up in my breath.  About thirty minutes later same text and the level was above zero, I do not recall the exact level.

My point being, the problem was not with the machines, it was with folks who would not and/or could not follow simple written directions.  So 50 plus million peso worth of equipment sits on a shelf somewhere that was almost certainly good to go.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Possum
Posted
Posted

I stumbled across  a YouTube video that explains a lot. I love the Philippines but this video explains what most folks have known for a long time.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 8/24/2024 at 4:38 PM, hk blues said:

I'm not making an excuse but the smaller population (34m Malaysia and Singapore 5.5m) perhaps helps a fair bit. 

Japan 125m

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Possum said:

I stumbled across  a YouTube video that explains a lot. I love the Philippines but this video explains what most folks have known for a long time.

Corrupt to the core and very uneducated....yup, something most Filipinos already know.  Well, maybe the uneducated do not really know/appreciate how uneducated they really are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

For a couple generations or more OFW's were encouraged and facilitated by the government to leave and live overseas. Many of the more capable and or educated Filipinos have left Philippines. What effect do you guys think that's had on Philippines? 

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

For a couple generations or more OFW's were encouraged and facilitated by the government to leave and live overseas. Many of the more capable and or educated Filipinos have left Philippines.

Still going on, government still encourages it, and it has become a big part of the economy here.   Alternative would be to educate the masses. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Japan 125m

I didn't say bigger populations are a barrier to success, but smaller ones may help.  Just one possible contributing factor, and most certainly not the most important one, I accept.

• Like 1