Malaysia, Singapore and the Philippines started with nothing after the war how they differed

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Corrupt to the core and very uneducated....yup, something most Filipinos already know.  Well, maybe the uneducated do not really know/appreciate how uneducated they really are.

In the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is King. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

For a couple generations or more OFW's were encouraged and facilitated by the government to leave and live overseas. Many of the more capable and or educated Filipinos have left Philippines. What effect do you guys think that's had on Philippines? 

Overall?  Impossible to say but as things stand those OFWs are feeding and clothing a helluva lot of families here.  And therein lies a/the problem - this handout culture is endemic here. I'm sure others here have similar tales but my own wife was responsible for supporting her family of 7 as an OFW in Hong Kong.  A scenario repeated all over the country.  When she and I married her younger sister took over this responsibility by working in Saudi. 

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted

OFWs are about 10% of the Philippines GDP and 10% of the population works overseas. The largest contributor to the GDP is automotive trade at 18% which I figure will decline when the country finally goes into total gridlock.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

as things stand those OFWs are feeding and clothing a helluva lot of families here.  And therein lies a/the problem - this handout culture is endemic here.

Yes, a recent experience.  Our worker who I mentioned in another thread, has a habit of skipping work.  One excuse was that he had to go to Western Union to pickup money from an OFW family member.  He mentioned that it was for their monthly living expense.  He probably uses his earned money on cigs.  He also mentioned that he has 9 kids and 3 grand kids.  He is 52 today.

I have known others over the years.  Why work when your handout is in the mail?  The handout culture contributes many negative things to the overall culture.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, a recent experience.  Our worker who I mentioned in another thread, has a habit of skipping work.  One excuse was that he had to go to Western Union to pickup money from an OFW family member.  He mentioned that it was for their monthly living expense.  He probably uses his earned money on cigs.  He also mentioned that he has 9 kids and 3 grand kids.  He is 52 today.

I have known others over the years.  Why work when your handout is in the mail?  The handout culture contributes many negative things to the overall culture.

What struck me most (million years ago), and not in a good way, was how easy it is to ask for something.   I brought some nice towels here from the US... "Can I have that"   Headphones "can I have that"  Shirts  "can I have that" over the years etc...   I remember trying to imagine myself going to somebody's house and start asking if I can have their belongings. 

Edited by craftbeerlover
delete
  • Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Overall?  Impossible to say but as things stand those OFWs are feeding and clothing a helluva lot of families here.  And therein lies a/the problem - this handout culture is endemic here. I'm sure others here have similar tales but my own wife was responsible for supporting her family of 7 as an OFW in Hong Kong.  A scenario repeated all over the country.  When she and I married her younger sister took over this responsibility by working in Saudi. 

Heard those stories umpteen times from Filipinas working in Japan and Korea.   Their entire salary went back to the family, and more times than not, their brothers sat on their asses at home. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

Heard those stories umpteen times from Filipinas working in Japan and Korea.   Their entire salary went back to the family, and more times than not, their brothers sat on their asses at home. 

Yep...

The wife has 5 siblings  - only the youngest 3 have worked from what I can gather. 

Once the mother pops off I wonder if the two working siblings will be up for continuing to support the 3 older ones? 

Possum
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I know more than a few like that. That they don't "lose face" over that is telling.

I told one such guy that the car wash I use was hiring and he said,"I don't want to do that". I called him lazy and my wife cautioned he may get mad because he lost face. The guy was staring at me at the time. Told my wife he had no "face" to lose at 20 years of age and dependent on his overseas mother for support.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Possum said:

no "face" to lose at 20 years of age

I am with you. It always gets me when entering a 7-11 there is a healthy 20 something standing there, opening the door with a cup in hand. Usually upon exiting I will look the kid in the eye, squeeze his biceps and say "TRABAJO". (Finally my highschool spanish is worth something:hystery:)

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 9/20/2024 at 1:16 PM, Possum said:

he may get mad because he lost face

Most thin skinned people I have come across in all my years on this planet.   Cant even joke with them most of the time, at least not the same we joked in the US (Amongst friends)

• Like 2