iPhone

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think Johnny Air uses a balikbayan box scheme similar to Shipping Cart which is owned by LBC.

Ship to their warehouse, then they consolidate into BB boxes which have nothing due on arrival in PH.

I use Shipping Cart regularly from the UK. They ship both by sea and airfreight.

I'm not sure Shipping Cart use the BB system. Their website says all applicable Philippine taxes are included in their shipping fee.

As for shipping mobile phones - Under their 'Prohibited items' section - ALL telecommunication equipment including MOBILE PHONES and two way radios.

According to their website, if you use the Shipping Cart U.S. address, which is in Oregon, (there are no sales taxes in Oregon) regardless of which state you purchased the item. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Huggybearman said:

I use Shipping Cart regularly from the UK. They ship both by sea and airfreight.

I used to use shipping cart U.S. a few years back, but Amazon started their free shipping to the Philippines program, so really no need.  The available products for free Amazon shipping has grown a lot, and it is rare that I can't find what I need.  Does Amazon UK have free shipping?

At about the same time Amazon started their program, Shipping Cart US started falling apart.  On one of my last shipments a couple of items arrived at shipping cart and were lost.  I did get a refund for the actual cost of the product.  The chaos multiplied when they moved the warehouse to Oregon.  I have friends who spent months trying to find shipments and/or get a refund  Their are FB groups dedicated to the Shipping Cart issues.

As for shipping mobile phones - Under their 'Prohibited items' section - ALL telecommunication equipment including MOBILE PHONES and two way radios.

Johnny Air Cargo does not have that restriction listed.

https://johnnyair.com/prohibited-items

I'm not sure Shipping Cart use the BB system. Their website says all applicable Philippine taxes are included in their shipping fee.

I use the term Balikbayan Box loosely.  Piecing together info gathered over the years, these companies started as BB box shippers, and as online commerce expanded, they grew into warehouse address and shipping companies.  They probably pay duties and taxes in bulk, to a few blessed Philippine officials, rather than item by item.  "One 40 ft container?  Let me ring that up.  That will be p10,000, cash only."

In the 90's, the company I worked for paid duties and taxes like that.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, JasonK said:

Took me about 7 days to get my Pixel 8 Pro when I used that method.

I may need to buy a new phone in the near future.  How long have you had the Pixel 8 Pro?  Like it so far?  Did you have an earlier version of a google phone prior to this one?

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I used to use shipping cart U.S. a few years back, but Amazon started their free shipping to the Philippines program, so really no need.  The available products for free Amazon shipping has grown a lot, and it is rare that I can't find what I need.  Does Amazon UK have free shipping?

I don't think Amazon UK offer free shipping to the Philippines. I am increasingly using Amazon US to purchase items that have free shipping rather than use Shipping Cart. More and more items on Amazon are being offered with free shipping these days. 

I hope there will be an Amazon Philippines before too long!

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think Johnny Air uses a balikbayan box scheme similar to Shipping Cart which is owned by LBC.

Ship to their warehouse, then they consolidate into BB boxes which have nothing due on arrival in PH.

Is that a clever manipulation of the rules, or plain illegal?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Is that a clever manipulation of the rules, or plain illegal?

I suspect, by mutual agreement between the involved parties.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Anybody have iPhone 13?  Your experience?

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Anybody have iPhone 13?  Your experience?

My wife has one. She is happy with it, got it last year.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I had one before I updated, there is almost no difference between the 13 and 14 and the 13 is better value.

It's a good choice IMHO

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

While my grandnephews look at my iPhone and consider them "old model," I have gotten used to it and refuse to upgrade to a newer version.  Works well and why spend up to $1,000 for another iPhone?  The only change contemplated is getting a new battery once we get to the Philippines.  Over time, the original one requires more frequent charging.