Stolen Social Security Numbers

Lee
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I tried two and was told I have to call.

When you went through the 2 credit agencies online were you required to provide your SS number?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Lee said:

When you went through the 2 credit agencies online were you required to provide your SS number?

For Equifax, no.  For Experian, yes.

• Thanks 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Has anyone successfully locked their credit using the online tools the 3 credit agencies have?  From the Philippines?  I tried two and was told I have to call.

I have the same issue. Tried with and without VPN. I have a US number for them to send OTP but still would not go thru.

baronapart
Posted
Posted

I froze mine last week. Used a VPN but I am currently in the US.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, earthdome said:

If you use CapitalOne they track your credit rating and will show you any requests reported by the three agencies. Not as good as a freeze but could help you detect identity theft to open fraudulent financial account or loan.

I just logged in to Cap One.  Their credit monitoring service is called Creditwise.  It is for Transunion and Experion.  Also "Dark Web" monitoring.

Seems good enough but I can't remember if they send an e-mail when there is an alert.  Do you get e-mail alerts?

My yahoo e-mail has been on the Dark Web for a while so I get spam/scams.  One of these days maybe I will change it but that is a lot of work.  I have had it for 30+ years.  I have a g-mail too but it is secondary.

I don't see any alerts for problems with SSN.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I just logged in to Cap One.  Their credit monitoring service is called Creditwise.  It is for Transunion and Experion.  Also "Dark Web" monitoring.

Seems good enough but I can't remember if they send an e-mail when there is an alert.  Do you get e-mail alerts?

My yahoo e-mail has been on the Dark Web for a while so I get spam/scams.  One of these days maybe I will change it but that is a lot of work.  I have had it for 30+ years.  I have a g-mail too but it is secondary.

I don't see any alerts for problems with SSN.

I have dark web alerts for ssn. My ssn was compromised years ago. I haven't received email alerts from creditwise but maybe you can configure email or app notifications. I have capone app on my phone so I see all charges as immediately as an app notification.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, earthdome said:

but maybe you can configure email or app notifications.

I checked for that on the webpage and found nothing about configuring alerts.  I will check the app, which I rarely have used.

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I checked for that on the webpage and found nothing about configuring alerts.  I will check the app, which I rarely have used.

I get email alerts from Creditwise if there are any changes or inquiries from Experian and Transunion. I've received a few "compromised email address" on the dark web. I don't see any way to configure it though seems like it's either on or off.

Edited by MikeB
tmi
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, MikeB said:

I get email alerts from Creditwise if there are any changes or inquiries from Experian and Transunion. I've received a few "compromised email address" on the dark web. I don't see any way to configure it though seems like it's either on or off.

Thanks Mike!  That was what I was wondering.  I probably got the e-mails before but could not remember as it has been a while.  I think it is always on with no configuration.

Youngster
Posted
Posted
On 9/3/2024 at 11:27 PM, OnMyWay said:

Has anyone successfully locked their credit using the online tools the 3 credit agencies have?  From the Philippines?  I tried two and was told I have to call.

I was able to just lock my experian and Equifax reports through their respective websites from PI using VPN.  I did sign up for these services when I was back in the US a few years ago.  They also have apps. 
https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

https://lockandalert.equifax.com/member-center/myaccount/

I used to be able to access transunion until a month or so ago before they split their services in 2, but I’m now locked out. 
https://membership.trueidentity.com/tucm/loginTIDMigrated.page  ill just have to call them when I’m back in the US next month…or maybe later.

• Like 1