Tipping Gone Mad

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

My assumption is the company CR had non.

I am surprised that you are surprised by this. Even today you can go to most Malls and find no TP in the stalls. Even places that would be considered "high end" don't have TP. Heck, some places still do not have toilet seats. Has not changed in the 30 years I have been coming and living here. The reason I have been told is because TP is highly pilferable. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I used to wonder why office workers at Philippine companies had a roll of toilet on their desk.  My assumption is the company CR had non.

Sort of correct.  Our friend owns a small business.  If you need to use the CR, she offers a roll, return the roll when finished.  Unfortunately any roll left in the stall disappears quickly.  Sad but true.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, scott h said:

Even places that would be considered "high end" don't have TP

High end places have paper but it is typically in those really large dispensers where the rolls are locked in and can't be stolen.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We have encountered tip boxes in some countries at public toilets.  This is to compensate staff who are required to keep toilets clean.  (I suspect some are concessions based on the user volume.)  Places in Europe like train stations require one Euro at the entrance to access a commode, WC, CR or whatever you want to call them.  My wife and I set aside all our one Euro coins in a separate pocket to make sure we always have a few.

When I was growing up all public toilets required payment - there was a coin mechanism on the door - I recall it being 2p. So, 2p to pee!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Clermont said:

Beggar that, no discount for seniors.

Seniors should pay more as, if I'm typical, we take much longer to conclude our business!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

When I was growing up all public toilets required payment - there was a coin mechanism on the door - I recall it being 2p. So, 2p to pee!

Youngun, in my day it was 1 penny Hence the saying I need to spend a penny :tiphat: 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Youngun, in my day it was 1 penny Hence the saying I need to spend a penny :tiphat: 

I remember it being a penny too. When I last went to London 2003 It was a pound. 

In for a penny, in for a pound, comes to mind.:facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Correct!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Some malls have very clean toilets with baby diapers changing stations.  One example is Makati Glorietta.  They charge P10 per use.  It is free for seniors.  Another is Greenbelt Five except the popular 2nd floor always has a line on the women's side.  My wife and I go to the 3rd floor on the furthest end.  Clean with tissue paper although, admittedly, we always have tissue in our bags just in case.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Several years ago, L and I travelled to Dumaguete by bus from Cebu. Along the way, she wanted to stop by and visit some famous church. Well, the church was closed but we had to pee.... So we went to a place across the road where they had toilets and a sign - I don't know all the Filipino words - which said, "Pooing 10 pesos, peeing 5 pesos, utots free."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1