The harmful effects of gadget overuse

Lee
Posted
Posted

I was recently at a luncheon honoring the 8th year passing of a family member. Pretty normal stuff---catered lunch, cloth covered chairs, and a prayer session to start things off with. After everyone had finished eating, almost on cue, the attendees from 6 to 70 year olds all reached for their cell phones. All conversation had stopped between family members----it was all about catching up on FB.

As the article suggests, cell phones are an addiction that IMO have led to the dumbing down of Filipinos.

I'D like to focus on an alarming problem we all face in our everyday lives — the overuse and negative consequences of gadgets we can't do away with.

Gadgets such as mobile phones, tablets and other devices are omnipresent today, shaping how we interact with each other and our environment. No doubt, these technological wonders offer numerous benefits, but they also present significant challenges.

The addictive utilization of gadgets can lead to detrimental effects that fragment familial bonds, distort knowledge development and impede meaningful social interactions. Moreover, the overuse of gadgets presents significant threats to national security and public wellness.

The vulnerabilities in cybersecurity, the spread of misinformation, and the decline in physical and mental health collectively highlight the urgent need for a comprehensive approach to mitigating these risks.

We need critical mass and a cohesive, coherent approach to effectively promote responsible gadget use, enhance digital literacy and implement robust cybersecurity measures to enable society to harness the benefits of technology while safeguarding against its potential harms.

The well-being of individuals and families and the security of the nation depend on striking this critical balance. That said, let's get down to brass tacks.

First, gadget overuse intrudes into quality family time. It limits face-to-face interactions and undermines family bonding and communication. Members become less attuned to the needs and emotions of others. The lack of empathy and support strains family relationships that, in time, could fan disastrous internal conflicts and the loss of trust and understanding.

The harmful effects of gadget overuse

I'm curious to know empirical data from exhaustive studies, if any, of its deleterious impact in the Philippines on individual performance and social interaction in school, at work and within the community. Right now, I can only observe it with red flags blinking all around me.

Gadgets are meant to provide easy access to vast amounts of information. However, the constant stream of notifications and the lure of social media are fragmenting attention and constraining our focus on deep, meaningful learning.

Passive consumption of content, as opposed to active research and study time, is limiting intellectual growth and creativity, further affecting comprehension of complex issues, knowledge retention and holistic development.

Moreover, information overload impairs the discernment of credible sources from unreliable ones. And the preference for instant content over in-depth analysis hinders the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Its overuse also hinders the formation, development, and sustainability of meaningful personal and professional relationships.

While gadgets facilitate connection across distances, they contribute, ironically, to a sense of isolation and disconnection. Online interactions lack the depth and authenticity of person-to-person communication, fostering instead superficial relationships.

Furthermore, anonymity and distance provided by online communication can lead to a sense of loneliness, disconnection, and negative behaviors such as cyberbullying, which can have profound emotional and psychological effects.

Gadget overuse could also compromise national security. One primary concern is the increased vulnerability to cyber threats. With the Internet of Things (IoT), the attack surface for cybercriminals and hostile entities expands considerably.

IoT refers to the collective network of connected devices and the technology that facilitates communication between devices and the cloud, as well as between the devices themselves.

Many gadgets often lack robust security measures, making them easy targets for hackers to illegally snatch personal and national data to use for espionage, data theft, and critical infrastructure sabotage.

Hostile foreign actors spread false information to influence public opinion, sow discord, destabilize political systems, undermine public trust in institutions, manipulate electoral processes, and exacerbate social divisions that threaten national cohesion and stability.

Excessive gadget use can impact the mental and physical readiness of the population, particularly among younger demographics who are future soldiers, professionals, and leaders. It can lead to diminished physical activity, poor mental health and reduced cognitive capabilities.

A society with diminished social cohesion is less resilient in facing collective challenges, from public health crises to economic disruptions.

It's crucial for society, therefore, to strike a balance, leveraging the benefits of technology while being mindful of its potential to disrupt and harm. The mindful and intentional use of gadgets will mitigate these negative effects and promote healthier, more fulfilling interactions both within families and in broader social contexts.

Toward that end, risk mitigation will require a multi-faceted approach that emphasizes balance, awareness and proactive measures.

First, establishing "tech-free" zones and specific times within the household to foster better family cohesion.

Second, introduce alternative activities to reduce the reliance on gadgets by encouraging outdoor activities, hobbies and family games that also promote overall wellness and creativity.

Setting limits on screen time is crucial. Utilize built-in device features and third-party apps to monitor and control usage, ensuring that children engage in a balanced mix of activities.

Educational initiatives such as teaching digital literacy and the importance of credible sources can help combat misinformation and promote responsible internet usage.

Third, lead by example. When adults act as role models that balance gadget usage and prioritize real-world interactions, they set the tone for their family members.

Addressing the risks posed by gadget overuse requires coordinated efforts at the individual and policy levels. At the individual level, education systems should incorporate curricula that teach the risks of excessive gadget use and strategies for balanced digital consumption.

At a policy level, governments should enforce stringent cybersecurity standards for IoT devices and promote public awareness about digital security practices. Helping citizens discern will strengthen societal resilience against propaganda and misinformation campaigns.

Employers can play a role by promoting a healthy work-life balance, ensuring employees are not overburdened with digital tasks outside working hours. Community programs that provide opportunities for physical and social activities can further support public wellness.

A whole-of-society undertaking is, therefore, so essential to overcome the negative impacts of gadget overuse in nation-building. We must unite to give this our undivided attention.

Rafael M. Alunan III was interior and local government secretary under President Fidel V. Ramos. He is a trustee of the Philippine Council for Foreign Relations.

The harmful effects of gadget overuse (msn.com)

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Facebook is largely seen as the "old guy in the corner" by Gen Z with the focus moving to Instagram (heading the same way), Tik Tok and X (formally Twitter).  It's the quick-hit satisfaction that gets them in hence the rise of Youtube "Shorts" - which, incidentally, are failing.  Attention spans are becoming shorter as a result.  As to the national security issues, I remember a former US President talking about banning Tik Tok as it's a Chinese company but Tik Tok is only scratching the surface.  Many of those apparently innocuous apps and mobile games are produced by Chinese companies as well; TenCent and Netease being particularly prominent in the gaming sphere.  

I remember the days when pulling out your phone on a golf course would incur a one stroke penalty unless you were some sort of emergency services worker.  Those days are gone to the point most golfing organisations now have an app that replaces the old score card and you can submit that card electronically. 

My friends and I back in Australia had a rule when out to dinner as a group:  No phones or you paid the entire bill.  The friends circle was varied in age and it was more difficult for some than others, and yes, difficult for even a couple of the "oldies".  

Here at home we have a rule at the dinner table:  No phones.  Our household currently consists of my wife and I, her mother, my wife's older brother (recent marriage breakdown but currently away working), and that brother's kids (f18, m14, f13 - Munchkin's mother finally found full-time work so Munchkin (f7) is back with her).  There's another brother that uses the house as a base when he's not away working as well.  It was the kids that found this tough with the 14yo sulking for a couple of days.  They're used to it now.  Dinner is at a set time every night as a family.  It's fun.  I'll give the kids this much credit though; when there's something that needs doing, they get off their butt and do it; but that may be due to fear of my wife more than anything else :whistling:.  They can also sit through entire movies etc with no problems, which is more than many these days. 

I'm always amazed when I walk into a shop either here or back in Australia, the amount of staff that will either ignore you or make it obvious you're interrupting them because they're on their phone.  My last employer prior to retirement - not that long ago - made it a disciplinary issue if you had your phone out during working hours.  

It's all become more prevalent with the rise of Smartphones and while I myself have embraced the technology, I do sometimes find myself longing for "the good old days".  

• Like 5

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

I was recently at a luncheon honoring the 8th year passing of a family member. Pretty normal stuff---catered lunch, cloth covered chairs, and a prayer session to start things off with. After everyone had finished eating, almost on cue, the attendees from 6 to 70 year olds all reached for their cell phones. All conversation had stopped between family members----it was all about catching up on FB.

As the article suggests, cell phones are an addiction that IMO have led to the dumbing down of Filipinos.

"As the article suggests, cell phones are an addiction that IMO have led to the dumbing down of the World." 

I corrected it for everyone.  They are all addicted to the dopamine.  They are drug addicts and do not even realize it.  Bill Gates and Steve Jobs had one thing in common.  Both of them only allowed their kids to be online for 30 minutes per day.

• Like 5

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

I corrected it for everyone.  They are all addicted to the dopamine.  They are drug addicts and do not even realize it. 

To expound on 1154's observation.

https://www.masterdc.com/blog/what-is-facebook-stress/

What is the relationship between Facebook and dopamine?

When Mark Zuckerberg launched the first version of Facebook, he probably never thought that years later, his social network would become a dopamine factory to capture users.

According to Chamath Palihapitiya, former vice president of Facebook, the social network was designed to create repetitive cycles dominated by dopamine.

And how did they do it? Simple, by placing hearts, likes, emoticons, thumbs up, etc. According to one of the Facebook founders, Sean Parker, the main question they asked themselves to attract people to the social network was: how can we consume others’ time and attention as much as possible? That’s how the “like” came up.

For Parker, this small dose of dopamine would be able to generate addiction to the social network slowly. It was expected (and so it happened) that users were captured by the “like”. This reward was introduced as the representation of the acceptance and social validation among Facebook users.

With more than 125 million user connections created since 2004, two million likes a day and one billion comments, Facebook continues to be the most influential and attractive social network for Internet users.

Then, Facebook began to play with what is called gregarious sense. This is when you perceive yourself as part of a social group and at the same time, you feel accepted, listened to, valued, etc.

Continuing with Parker´s opinion, Facebook changed the relationship of individuals with society and thinks that perhaps, this social network interferes with productivity in perverse ways. He even points out that he does not know exactly what Face

book is actually doing to children’s brains.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

We limit our daughters time on devices. At 6 years old she has no social media and only does video chats with her aunties and cousins.

She mostly plays minecraft and watches youtube kids on her ipad.

Now that school has started she doesn't have much free time to use her ipad between school, after school clubs, school soccer team and swim coach.

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, earthdome said:

We limit our daughters time on devices. At 6 years old she has no social media and only does video chats with her aunties and cousins.

She mostly plays minecraft and watches youtube kids on her ipad.

Now that school has started she doesn't have much free time to use her ipad between school, after school clubs, school soccer team and swim coach.

Guessing this is not in the Philippines?

earthdome
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Guessing this is not in the Philippines?

This is in metro manila. She attends a private international school in Pasig.

We leased a condo. It works well for us. School bus to/from school. After school activities are at school. Soccer is twice a week. Once in school gym then Friday after school we drive her to her practice at British School Manila soccer field in BGC.

Then on the weekend she has a one hour session with her swim coach in the condo pool. He coaches a max of 3 kids at a time.

All very convenient. Only have to drive her to an activity once a week.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, earthdome said:

This is in metro manila. She attends a private international school in Pasig.

We leased a condo. It works well for us. School bus to/from school. After school activities are at school. Soccer is twice a week. Once in school gym then Friday after school we drive her to her practice at British School Manila soccer field in BGC.

Then on the weekend she has a one hour session with her swim coach in the condo pool. He coaches a max of 3 kids at a time.

All very convenient. Only have to drive her to an activity once a week.

Kind of exactly what we are looking for, with one big caveat:  we would miss trees, some open land etc...  Being surrounded by cement would gnaw on us as well.   BUT, to get what you have, for your child, the options are very very limited and sacrifices will and must be made. 

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Kind of exactly what we are looking for, with one big caveat:  we would miss trees, some open land etc...  Being surrounded by cement would gnaw on us as well.   BUT, to get what you have, for your child, the options are very very limited and sacrifices will and must be made. 

The condo we are at has some nice open space for a pool and lawn. Here is a promo video. Note that it is over 20 years old but well maintained.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

The condo we are at has some nice open space for a pool and lawn. Here is a promo video. Note that it is over 20 years old but well maintained.

How do you find the air quality there in Pasig?