The harmful effects of gadget overuse

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can see a slight haze. I checked this the other day. Metro manila has particulate air pollution but is better than most other SE Asian large cities. Still we are considering an air purifier. Our condo is up over 20 floors so air quality may be better there.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, earthdome said:

The condo we are at has some nice open space for a pool and lawn. Here is a promo video. Note that it is over 20 years old but well maintained.

Looks nice.  I have been to Pasig a few times, and a good buddy lives there as well.   Went to a couple of beerfests there, before the pandemic. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, earthdome said:

The condo we are at has some nice open space for a pool and lawn. Here is a promo video. Note that it is over 20 years old but well maintained.

Looks really nice!

My brother does a similar thing to you and limits screen time as well; one hour a day.  My 15yo nephew plays rugby (union) in the winter, cricket and in the summer as well as kickboxing all year round.  The 12yo plays football (soccer) in the winter, cricket in the summer and kickboxing all year around.  Kickboxing is two nights a week and the team sports are games on the weekend with training 2 afternoons a week each.  The older boy also has an early morning part-time job in before school in a bakery 4 days a week (has to pay for his own extras like xbox games etc and is saving for his first car).  Both of them are pretty academically driven as well so that adds to time away from technology. 

Most kids' sports in Australia are outside of schools in Australia and run by the local relevant sports associations through a club system. There are the annual swimming, athletics as well as interschool sports but that's during school hours with the interschool sports only being once a week and generally not taken as seriously as the weekend competitions not connected with the schools. 

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Looks really nice!

My brother does a similar thing to you and limits screen time as well; one hour a day.  My 15yo nephew plays rugby (union) in the winter, cricket and in the summer as well as kickboxing all year round.  The 12yo plays football (soccer) in the winter, cricket in the summer and kickboxing all year around.  Kickboxing is two nights a week and the team sports are games on the weekend with training 2 afternoons a week each.  The older boy also has an early morning part-time job in before school in a bakery 4 days a week (has to pay for his own extras like xbox games etc and is saving for his first car).  Both of them are pretty academically driven as well so that adds to time away from technology. 

Most kids' sports in Australia are outside of schools in Australia and run by the local relevant sports associations through a club system. There are the annual swimming, athletics as well as interschool sports but that's during school hours with the interschool sports only being once a week and generally not taken as seriously as the weekend competitions not connected with the schools. 

We were seeing some things we didn't like and reducing screen time has helped. Getting her in school full time with many activities also helps.

Her school soccer team is a hybrid. It is a school team but trained and coached by a private club. G8 Academy. She seems to like it so we will continue as long as she wants to play.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 9/8/2024 at 6:33 AM, Lee said:

As the article suggests, cell phones are an addiction that IMO have led to the dumbing down of Filipinos.

100% not exclusive to the Philippines. Pretty much anywhere it applies these days.

• Like 4

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

100% not exclusive to the Philippines. Pretty much anywhere it applies these days.

Society globally is seeing a decline in critical thinking etc...   Glad I grew up when I did;  all I had (in comparison) were pinball machines. 

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Society globally is seeing a decline in critical thinking etc...   Glad I grew up when I did;  all I had (in comparison) were pinball machines. 

Those same pinball machines at the local pizza shop managed to take all the silver dimes and quarters I had saved as a kid. My critical thinking declined when tempted to play those addictive pinball machines.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

TV was blamed for declining intelligence and morals when I was a kid. However, my discovery of beer at age 16 had more to do with my declining intelligence and morals.

• Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

In the 50s and 60s it was Rock n Roll, the seventies TV, the eighties alcohol and so and so on.  So, every generation has its vices but the addiction to mobile phones does seem more extreme than previous.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

In the 50s and 60s it was Rock n Roll, the seventies TV, the eighties alcohol and so and so on.  So, every generation has its vices but the addiction to mobile phones does seem more extreme than previous.

Yes the mobile devices seem to be addictive. From my nonscientific observations most of the addiction is involves social media. Everybody seems to want to either broadcast what they are doing or thinking about OR they want to know what other people are doing or thinking about. Why? I don't know, just nosy or they maybe just want attention. This is a tsismis society already and WTH is a 'media influencer' or 'content creator' contribution to society?

When the internet became accessible I thought it was great but I was strange and used to hang out at the library even in high school. I read encyclopedias at home when I couldn't go outside due to weather. So the internet was like having access to the biggest library in the world and still is but not all information is as fact checked as Encyclopedia Britannica so it can be dangerous for gullible people and outright idiots.

We have a no cell phone rule at meals and family gatherings. Also walking while staring at a phone is prohibited. Twitter is banned and YouTube is restricted. Of course cell phones are not allowed in school.

Mobile phone addiction needs rapid intervention, I think they should open treatment centers or at the least have built in timers even for adults. But for now I settle for 'turn off the damn phone before I flush it!' Effective so far

• Like 2