Office LTSC 2024

Mango-Johnny
Posted
Posted

Hello,

when it comes to Microsoft Office 365, I used so far a sponsered version, a cooperation partner shared with me. Now this cooperation will soon come to an end and I'm looking for an alternative. Certainly, Microsoft Office offers me the option to continue the subscription and pay for it every month. However, I came across the info, there's now Office LTSC 2024 available. Is this a useful alternative free of charge?? Does any one know if this is compatible with Office 365 in order to acces my countless word docs?? And if it's compatible should I first de-install Office 365 and follow up to install LTSC or should I delete Office 365 after I installed LTSC?? What's the best source to download LTSC?? Or would "Open Office" something to recommend

Any advice highly welcomed

Thanx

Johann

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was under the impression that the new non subscription version of Office was only available to corporate clients?

As to Open Office it's usable but rather clunky compared to Microsoft Office, Libre Office (a fork developed from Open Office) is a little more polished feeling IMO.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Libre is indeed the new version of Open Office.  Open office hasn't been updated since 2014ish I believe.  I use Libre and have had no issues with MS Office files working just fine and completely compatible.  If you're into writing macros in Visual Basic for Excel there is some limited functionality in Libre's spreadsheets as well.  

WPS Office is also another good one that I used for a while and has the most of the MS Office functionality and  the most of all free suites out there.  Again, no compatibility issues.  I stop using it as there's regular annoying popups to go premium.  It's a little odd actually as there's very few benefits or extra functionality if you do go premium that I can work out and those that are premium are more for power users. 

Google Workspace is great but I think you have to be online and it's also browser based which weirdly is more of a memory hog than a dedicated programme.

FreeOffice is the most similar to the current MS Office interface and almost a seamless transition.  I'd use that but I'm so familiar with Libre now that I can't be bothered messing around learning new shortcuts and menus.  Also, no compatibility issues.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

According to this article, you uninstall current version of Office prior to the install.  A lot of detail, to include screen shots, on how to install.  I would backup your word docs, etc. (you probably already have) just to be on the safe side, but should be no issues.

https://medhacloud.com/blog/install-microsoft-office-ltsc-preview-guide/

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Mango-Johnny said:

Hello,

when it comes to Microsoft Office 365, I used so far a sponsered version, a cooperation partner shared with me. Now this cooperation will soon come to an end and I'm looking for an alternative. Certainly, Microsoft Office offers me the option to continue the subscription and pay for it every month. However, I came across the info, there's now Office LTSC 2024 available. Is this a useful alternative free of charge?? Does any one know if this is compatible with Office 365 in order to acces my countless word docs?? And if it's compatible should I first de-install Office 365 and follow up to install LTSC or should I delete Office 365 after I installed LTSC?? What's the best source to download LTSC?? Or would "Open Office" something to recommend

Any advice highly welcomed

Thanx

Johann

I use WPS Office and have done for years even I also have MS Office.  It does everything I need and handles MS Word docs well enough - sometimes the format is a bit off but it's not such a big deal, at least not for me. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Mango-Johnny
Posted
Posted
On 9/24/2024 at 6:37 AM, BrettGC said:

Libre is indeed the new version of Open Office.  Open office hasn't been updated since 2014ish I believe.  I use Libre and have had no issues with MS Office files working just fine and completely compatible.  If you're into writing macros in Visual Basic for Excel there is some limited functionality in Libre's spreadsheets as well.  

WPS Office is also another good one that I used for a while and has the most of the MS Office functionality and  the most of all free suites out there.  Again, no compatibility issues.  I stop using it as there's regular annoying popups to go premium.  It's a little odd actually as there's very few benefits or extra functionality if you do go premium that I can work out and those that are premium are more for power users. 

Google Workspace is great but I think you have to be online and it's also browser based which weirdly is more of a memory hog than a dedicated programme.

FreeOffice is the most similar to the current MS Office interface and almost a seamless transition.  I'd use that but I'm so familiar with Libre now that I can't be bothered messing around learning new shortcuts and menus.  Also, no compatibility issues.

Hi, Libre Office is really great, thanx

• Like 1

Mango-Johnny
Posted
Posted
On 9/23/2024 at 7:03 PM, GeoffH said:

I was under the impression that the new non subscription version of Office was only available to corporate clients?

As to Open Office it's usable but rather clunky compared to Microsoft Office, Libre Office (a fork developed from Open Office) is a little more polished feeling IMO.

Hello, Libre Office is what I was looking for, salamat Po!

• Like 3