Cats and Dogs - The Cost in More Than PHP

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

No photo description available.

A week ago this beautiful boy passed away.  He was my step-daughter's Rottwieler and only just shy of 3 years old.  Why?  Despite step-daughter and her partner earning very good money by Filipino standards from various sources in addition to their well paying full-time employment, they were either too stingy or too lazy to get their dogs their annual boosters.  For a dog of 55kg it costs around 2k PHP a year for the 6-in-1 combined plus the additional kennel cough vaccination.  Thunder was his name and he died of parvo virus.  

Step-daughter (SD) was naturally devastated and AM and I not much better as they lived with us for about 6 months last year and we grew very attached to their dogs. We have two of our own intact males (not de-nutted) and SD's boys were also intact.  To our surprise, they all got along exceptionally well and became inseparable. When they eventually moved out, our boys sulked for days.

SD is now blaming everyone but herself - stray dogs, people letting their dogs interact with other dogs when on walks etc. Needless to say I told her she and her partner had no one else to blame but themselves. AM wasn't as polite as that.

Thunder passed away in a great deal of discomfort and pain.

Edited by BrettGC
  • Sad 7

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry to hear about that Brett. Our main guard dog, a Belgian Malinois, is a beloved part of our family. He loves everyone and everyone who knows him loves him too. He is fearsome and scary when he barks at noises or goats or whatever agitates him. We are always careful to give him his annual shots and also three monthly worming and flea and tick meds.

We also have a shitsu who also gets the same treatments. It costs so little and is not much hassle that it is worth while to take care of these family members. Yet, we see several locals nearby with dogs and we know they don't inoculate them or treat them other than to feed them their rice for food. That frightens us because of the rabies being around in Philippines. We are always extra cautions when outside our fence working or walking.

Yet our guard Mutt lays his ears back and sometimes rolls on his back for belly rubs when we approach him. I would be scared to death to encounter him if he were not our pet. RIP Thunder!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1

Gas
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear about the dog. 

I’m not convinced about the yearly vaccinations that are pushed by the drug companies and vets. 
My dogs don’t mix with other dogs but they have plenty of space to run around and they always seem to live happy, healthy lives to old age. 
Apart from the initial jabs when they were younger and a annual rabies shot they are not vaccinated for anything else.

Archie (the beagle) just turned 15! 

IMG_3821.jpeg

IMG_0404.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

That beagle did not like me unless I took it for a walk 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gas said:

Sorry to hear about the dog. 

I’m not convinced about the yearly vaccinations that are pushed by the drug companies and vets. 
My dogs don’t mix with other dogs but they have plenty of space to run around and they always seem to live happy, healthy lives to old age. 
Apart from the initial jabs when they were younger and a annual rabies shot they are not vaccinated for anything else.

Archie (the beagle) just turned 15! 

IMG_1553.mov

IMG_3821.jpeg

IMG_0404.jpeg

Those do not look like beagles to me...

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Those do not look like beagles to me...

They are rottweilers :smile:

For some reason the picture of the beagle has disappeared :89:

IMG_3819.jpeg

Edited by Gas
  • Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

It's completely up to the individual whether they vaccinate their dogs or not.  All I know is that Thunder did have all his puppy shots but none since. 

I'm not willing to take the risk here in PI, I've lost count of the amount of our neighbours dogs that haven't been around for long.  Our dogs have daily contact with other dogs whether they be strays or dogs that are allowed to run free and are only at home to eat and sleep; weather permitting we take our dogs on extended walks at least daily, sometimes twice.  The Danish Spitz gets a bit antsy if we don't as he's a smart, energetic lad that needs the exercise and stimulation and when that's lacking he can be a bit of a handful.  

Our boys:

image.png

The little scruffy little guy is a maltese/poodle cross.. So we've been told anyway.  I have my doubts as he weighs in at about 11kg. 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It's completely up to the individual whether they vaccinate their dogs or not.  All I know is that Thunder did have all his puppy shots but none since. 

I'm not willing to take the risk here in PI, I've lost count of the amount of our neighbours dogs that haven't been around for long.  Our dogs have daily contact with other dogs whether they be strays or dogs that are allowed to run free and are only at home to eat and sleep; weather permitting we take our dogs on extended walks at least daily, sometimes twice.  The Danish Spitz gets a bit antsy if we don't as he's a smart, energetic lad that needs the exercise and stimulation and when that's lacking he can be a bit of a handful.  

Our boys:

image.png

The little scruffy little guy is a maltese/poodle cross.. So we've been told anyway.  I have my doubts as he weighs in at about 11kg. 

I like the dainty crossed paws... and, of course, the frog legs...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I like the dainty crossed paws... 

LOL yeah, he's done that since he was tiny.. If he could talk I'm pretty sure he'd refer to himself in the third person, British monarch style. 

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I used to buy the canine vaccine from the Agrivet store.  They would include a syringe and put ice in the bag.  I assume they still sell vaccines but could be wrong.