Minor Annoyances #3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Being left-handed, or southpaw in the states, cack handed to Brits and Ozzie's (not sure what Scots call them, but something unintelligible I am sure :whistling:) I have spent almost 7 decades repeating "lefty loosy, righty tightly when turning on a water tap, screwing in a lightbulb, opening a pickle jar. Failing all arts and crafts classes because I could not use a pair of scissors, continually moving the water glass to the left side of the table in restaurants, in other words belonging to the most unsung class of discriminated people on earth, I had finally adjusted to the Tierany of the right-handed world...........then I moved to the Philippines.

Is it just me? or have other noted that to get hot water you move the valve to the left? Have been to many resorts and here in my own home, it is to the right.  When you insert a key into a lock is not the rough side supposed to face down? Is it because spoons are used so often here they are placed with the fork on the left side of the plate? Inquiring minds want to know. 

lefty.jpg

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

Is it just me? or have other noted that to get hot water you move the valve to the left? Have been to many resorts and here in my own home, it is to the right.  When you insert a key into a lock is not the rough side supposed to face down? Is it because spoons are used so often here they are placed with the fork on the left side of the plate? Inquiring minds want to know. 

Haven't really noticed any difference to Australia with the hot water, ours open by turning to the left here - I'm about to replace them with mixers anyway once we get our external instant gas hot water system installed.  Anyone know any good gasfitters?  

LAGAN single lever kitchen faucet, chrome plated - IKEA

Keys can be 50/50, it just depends how they're installed.  A while ago we did have one guy who was installing our new external doors fitted the lock mechanism (not the deadlocks) so the angled edge of the latch was facing the wrong way and we had to turn the handle to close then from the inside (inward swinging doors) - they key slot didn't give it away for him....  I fixed it myself, he wasn't invited back.  In Aus/NZ/UK forks are on the left hand side, we use the knife in our right but I did think it was unusual here given the US influence. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

ours open by turning to the left here

See what I mean? I cannot even type in a right-handed world :bonk:I meant hot water is turned on to the right in a lot of places I have been to...(I am sure they were installed wrongly :hystery:.

7 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

we use the knife in our right

The only saving grace is that I use a knife in my right hand (or the "continental manner" as my mother used to say) Watch an American closely, most of them with switch hands when using a knife and fork........stupid gits.

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, scott h said:

Being left-handed, or southpaw in the states, cack handed to Brits and Ozzie's (not sure what Scots call them, but something unintelligible I am sure :whistling:) I have spent almost 7 decades repeating "lefty loosy, righty tightly when turning on a water tap, screwing in a lightbulb, opening a pickle jar. Failing all arts and crafts classes because I could not use a pair of scissors, continually moving the water glass to the left side of the table in restaurants, in other words belonging to the most unsung class of discriminated people on earth, I had finally adjusted to the Tierany of the right-handed world...........then I moved to the Philippines.

lefty.jpg

Maybe a Scottish thing, but cack handed doesn't actually mean left-handed to us - it just means awkward or clumsy with our hands as a left-handed person might be.  Out of interest, Scots for left-handed is pally dukit! 

• Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Noisy eating.  Some nights I feel like standing up and conducting a symphony of slurping, sucking, and slapping (chewing with the mouth open). All things I used to get a whack for when I was a kid. My dear, old Irish grandmother was a loving, caring person whom I miss to this day but when it came to "manners", she was brutal :SugarwareZ-047:

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As a member of the master race I've always classed being left handed as corrie fisted. 

• Haha 5

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

As a member of the master race I've always classed being left handed as corrie fisted. 

Didn't know you was English. :whistling:

• Love it 2
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Noisy eating.  Some nights I feel like standing up and conducting a symphony of slurping, sucking, and slapping (chewing with the mouth open). All things I used to get a whack for when I was a kid. My dear, old Irish grandmother was a loving, caring person whom I miss to this day but when it came to "manners", she was brutal :SugarwareZ-047:

Then there's the habit I notice of getting a mouthful of food and talking through it. I often have to ask L to repeat something she said because I couldn't understand it through her food. Of course, I don't tell her the reason, but just "could you please repeat that Honey?"

Actually that seems to be common in the many Pacific islands I have visited.. talking with a mouthful of food... Hey... even my ex-mother-in-law did that and my ex and I both commented to each other about that.... So I guess it may be a new way to communicate?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Of course, I don't tell her the reason,

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Has always driven me batty. My mother would have a conniption fit here. So, for 30 years I have made an exaggerated show of chewing and swallowing before answering a question during a meal, hoping to make a point............no luck so far.

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, scott h said:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Has always driven me batty. My mother would have a conniption fit here. So, for 30 years I have made an exaggerated show of chewing and swallowing before answering a question during a meal, hoping to make a point............no luck so far.

Yeah, I do the same thing. I might even mumble through a mouthful to "wait" until I could finish a mouthful.

I forgot to add... almost always chewing with mouth open. I used to get "moderated" when I did that as a kid. Again, here and in so many island nations, it is normal and quite accepted. And, as someone said before, the slurping and sucking of chicken, pork, fish, beef bones gets a bit old on me sometimes. I also don't slurp soups... These are all things I was taught (maybe by too-strict parents in Canada?) to not do in polite company or, actually, at all.

Sorry Scott, but I think your efforts fall on deaf ears and long history. Maybe another 30 years and you can impress her?

• Haha 1