Hurricane Milton!

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Out of curiosity why doesn't the areas with historical records of hurricanes etc not have stricter building regulations?  Even here in the land of no commonsense there are rules on making certain properties Earthquake proof, I'd like to think in a First World Country they would be forced to build properties that can withstand hurricane strength winds and be safe from a certain level of flood water.

In the US building codes are largely determined by the counties with some state oversight, depending on the state. After the devastation in Miami/Dade building codes were improved and actually enforced in that area but not applied to the entire state. The buildings built to code can now withstand a lot of wind but flooding at the level we're currently seeing wasn't accounted for. The codes in the area where Milton went thru aren't as strict and the rest of the eastern seaboard is ripe for disaster. The worst case scenario is a hurricane hit on NY City . Most homes in the US have no flood insurance coverage.

New Orleans has been below sea level for a couple of hundred years. After hurricane Katrina a flood mitigation team from the Netherlands performed a study and made recommendations. They are pretty experienced at that sort of thing. Some recommendations have been implemented but the rest, well. Money.

What will eventually change the building codes is the cost of insurance. Of course then the cost of building/housing will go even higher. With the US median household income at about $80,000/yr housing is already unaffordable for a great many. Interesting times ahead.

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Similar issues exist in the state capitol Brisbane Australia where over several decades whole suburbs have been built along the flood plane areas of the Brisbane river.

The only reason... 💰 

In the US the government subsidizes this by providing affordable flood insurance. Without that few people would build because they would not be able to insure it. So my taxes get to help pay for rich peoples beach homes.

• Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, earthdome said:

So my taxes get to help pay for rich peoples beach homes.

At least they're not going to waste!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Possum said:

In the US building codes are largely determined by the counties with some state oversight, depending on the state. After the devastation in Miami/Dade building codes were improved and actually enforced in that area but not applied to the entire state. The buildings built to code can now withstand a lot of wind but flooding at the level we're currently seeing wasn't accounted for. The codes in the area where Milton went thru aren't as strict and the rest of the eastern seaboard is ripe for disaster. The worst case scenario is a hurricane hit on NY City . Most homes in the US have no flood insurance coverage.

To add a bit, Florida changed a lot of building codes after Andrew wiped out South Florida in 92.  When I was shopping for a house there in 2003, my realtor was well versed in the changes.  If I recall correctly, some of the major changes were:  No more wood exterior walls;  Only concrete.  Roofs have to be secured to the walls.  Hurricane shutters must be included on all new houses.

The house I bought Pembroke Pines met all the new codes as it was built in 99.  The first year I was there I had 3 hurricanes.  The worst storm  damaged some roof tiles.  I think the newer houses are much better now but if a tree falls on a house, well. you know.  A lot of damage is caused by flying objects that were not secured.  Outbuildings, etc.

Mandatory shutters is a big factor.  Without shutters, if one window breaks, the pressure will pop them all.  Then next to go is the roof.  It will pop too.  Then if wood walls are there, they go next.  This is what happened during Andrew in Homestead.  Entire older neighborhoods flattened.

In Florida, many houses have screened porches and pools.  Those often get wrecked.  This picture is a porch roof that came from a few blocks away and landed in between my neighbor's houses, luckily.  We had to cut it up to get it out.

DSCN0683.JPG

DSCN0719.JPG

These are the shutters the idiot tenants next door did not put up.  Luckily they did not escape from that area and become flying guillotines.  They did some minor damage to my air con unit there.  I learned from that and when I rented my house I had in the contract that the tenant had to install the shutters.  Second pic is a pic of my house with shutters installed.  My last tenant was very good about it.

DSCN0701.JPG

shutters2.jpg

• Like 4

Possum
Posted
Posted

I was in Homestead visiting when Andrew hit. Storm shutters up and a new roof had been installed. But the 2 car garage door blew in allowing the wind to get into the attic thru a crawl space opening. Started blowing the ceiling sheet rock down around us. Exciting times. I applied as many lessons from that to the build of our house here as possible. I even have a center brace for my garage door planned  !

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Possum said:

I was in Homestead visiting when Andrew hit. Storm shutters up and a new roof had been installed. But the 2 car garage door blew in allowing the wind to get into the attic thru a crawl space opening. Started blowing the ceiling sheet rock down around us. Exciting times. I applied as many lessons from that to the build of our house here as possible. I even have a center brace for my garage door planned  !

Oh, yeah, I think the re-enforced garage doors might have been part of the code changes.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Been busy the last few days with the chainsaw. My RV and Harley survived with only minor damage to the RV from flying debris. Lots trees down in my area and roads blocked. No power or water for the better part of Thursday and part of Friday.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gator said:

Been busy the last few days with the chainsaw. My RV and Harley survived with only minor damage to the RV from flying debris. Lots trees down in my area and roads blocked. No power or water for the better part of Thursday and part of Friday.

So you were there when the storm hit?  Not out on the road?

Gator
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So you were there when the storm hit?  Not out on the road?

Was in between contracts.  Was supposed to start a new one on Wednesday, but it got pushed back to Monday due to the Hurricane. 

• Like 1