Wife Having An Affair

earthdome
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Just to clarify, the OP stated that they are currently living in the US and his wife has a job so she has her green card if she's working legally... Unless she has permission from USCIS to work while waiting for it which opens up an entirely new can of worms. 

With as long as she has been in a US territory or US  stateside she may already be a US citizen. A spouse can apply after only 3 years.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, earthdome said:

With as long as she has been in a US territory or US  stateside she may already be a US citizen. A spouse can apply after only 3 years.

If so there could be travel restrictions to a joint custody if divorced in US.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Assuming they applied as prior to or soon as she entered the country, yes.  Granted, it would be odd if they hadn't. Guam would count as "time served" as well then.  

2 minutes ago, earthdome said:

If so there could be travel restrictions to a joint custody if divorced in US.

That's yet another can of worms.  

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sorry to read your sad news , but do not leave the house if she wants to leave let her and start the divorce proceedings, she’s cheated on you twice in such a short time of what you have told us , so I’m sure this is not her first time in doing this , try to be civil to each other if you both can and if you have to involve the children then try sitting down altogether explaining what is happening .

You say you got her a job and it’s a work colleague who’s involved, have you spoken to them plus speak to there employers , they might not like what is happening and may get rid of them if you want to go down that road 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

plus speak to there employers , they might not like what is happening and may get rid of them if you want to go down that road 

Probably not in the best interest of the children....

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Yes , but her having an affair was not in the best interests for the children either .

The problem with anything like this is we just get one side of the story , and I’m sure that many of us who’s been in that situation have looked back and maybe could have done better or worse in what had happened to us 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Agreed. Keep things calm and without any drama. You don't want any accusations back and forth that get out of control. Then everyone loses except the divorce attorneys.

• Like 3

Rooster
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Mark B said:

I’m 72 and wife is 39.  Her BF is younger than me

If I were 39 & my wife were 72, I would likely stray as well.

• Like 1

Mark B
Posted
Posted

Well thanks for all the comments.  She does have a green card along with her daughter, got them in May this year for them.  Soon after I found out about the affair I stopped her allowance and she asked to become a US citizen and I said I would not do it or help with the process.   I want her to have a job till after the divorce, maybe  won't have to pay per lawyer fees if she has income.   The lawyer fee is $400 per hour with a 5K retainer fee, maybe more $ if the divorce drags along.  And yes at some time going to tell her employer about the affair, she is a supervisor also and have an affair with a follow worker is a no-no.  What a mess.  Just a week before I found out we went to the movies as a family, me and my wife were holding hands coming out to the movies and all seemed good to me.

• Sad 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mark B said:

Well thanks for all the comments.  She does have a green card along with her daughter, got them in May this year for them.  Soon after I found out about the affair I stopped her allowance and she asked to become a US citizen and I said I would not do it or help with the process.   I want her to have a job till after the divorce, maybe  won't have to pay per lawyer fees if she has income.   The lawyer fee is $400 per hour with a 5K retainer fee, maybe more $ if the divorce drags along.  And yes at some time going to tell her employer about the affair, she is a supervisor also and have an affair with a follow worker is a no-no.  What a mess.  Just a week before I found out we went to the movies as a family, me and my wife were holding hands coming out to the movies and all seemed good to me.

It is in your best interest for her to become a citizen. You signed an I-864 promising that you would provide support at the 125% of poverty level. This only ends when she has worked 40 quarters for SS or becomes a US citizen. This obligation does not end with divorce.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 1