Wife Having An Affair

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, baronapart said:

It is in your best interest for her to become a citizen. You signed an I-864 promising that you would provide support at the 125% of poverty level. This only ends when she has worked 40 quarters for SS or becomes a US citizen. This obligation does not end with divorce.

I'd contact an attorney ASAP, especially if in an alimony state. I've personally never known of a 864 prosecution for nonsupport, I suppose it could happen but that's a federal violation and if they started prosecuting those cases they'd need to hire a LOT more prosecutors. What state the OP lives in determines a lot as divorce  grounds vary from state to state and adultery alone is grounds for divorce in a few states and would reduce the chance for alimony being required.  I wish the guy luck and a good attorney is needed. If she wants one she has to hire her own.  Divorce is costly but worth it.

baronapart
Posted
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Possum said:

I'd contact an attorney ASAP, especially if in an alimony state. I've personally never known of a 864 prosecution for nonsupport, I suppose it could happen but that's a federal violation and if they started prosecuting those cases they'd need to hire a LOT more prosecutors. What state the OP lives in determines a lot as divorce  grounds vary from state to state and adultery alone is grounds for divorce in a few states and would reduce the chance for alimony being required.  I wish the guy luck and a good attorney is needed. If she wants one she has to hire her own.  Divorce is costly but worth it.

https://www.justia.com/immigration/marriage-family-based-petitions/i-864-support-and-divorce/             

https://www.ocimmigrationattorney.com/blog/ninth-circuit-holds-that-i-864-affidavit-of-support-trumps-family-law-court-decision-regarding-prenuptial-agreement-and-alimony

No need for prosecuters. Federal Appeals court found I-864 supersedes prenup or state court decisions. Interpreted as a contract between Petitioner and Beneficiary/US Government. The Erler decision should make anyone pause before signing an I-864.

The I-864 has also been used as a framework in individual divorce cases in state courts-rightly or wrongly.

Edited by baronapart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, baronapart said:

https://www.justia.com/immigration/marriage-family-based-petitions/i-864-support-and-divorce/             

https://www.ocimmigrationattorney.com/blog/ninth-circuit-holds-that-i-864-affidavit-of-support-trumps-family-law-court-decision-regarding-prenuptial-agreement-and-alimony

No need for prosecuters. Federal Appeals court found I-864 supersedes prenup or state court decisions. Interpreted as a contract between Petitioner and Beneficiary/US Government. The Erler decision should make anyone pause before signing an I-864.

The I-864 has also been used as a framework in individual divorce cases in state courts-rightly or wrongly.

Thanks, did not know that. I do know for other 864's outside of marriage it is rarely prosecuted. I'd agree it is wise to hesitate before signing any 864.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sad to read about your situation Mark you are certainly not alone. I wish you the best.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Mark B said:

We have a 11 year old son together and her daughter from a relationship prior to meeting her in the PH.  I have seen a lawyer, have thought about moving out of our house and taking my son with me.  I’m 72 and wife is 39. 

We also have a son (just turned 12) and both ours and our spouses ages are very close. I can imagine how painful this is but for the good of your child is there any way this can be fixed? If not don't do anything w/o consulting with the attorney. And get a good one. Texas is not a 50/50 state when it comes to division of assets OR child custody. If you have proof she was having an affair that can be used against her. They can also take into account that you have contributed more financially. These things can affect division of assets and custody. I truly wish you the best.

• Like 5

Mark B
Posted
Posted
On 10/10/2024 at 8:09 AM, baronapart said:

It is in your best interest for her to become a citizen. You signed an I-864 promising that you would provide support at the 125% of poverty level. This only ends when she has worked 40 quarters for SS or becomes a US citizen. This obligation does not end with divorce.

The 125% of poverty level for her and the kids is $32,375  she makes at her job just over 43K.  So I think that is a non issue.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mark B said:

The 125% of poverty level for her and the kids is $32,375  she makes at her job just over 43K.  So I think that is a non issue.

Unless she takes the hump with you and gives up her job realising you can pay her for not working. 

• Like 1