Schools out for Summer! (and typhoons, rainstorms, earthquakes, elections etc.)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Remember that song!

There have been some threads lately about the amount of time school is not in session. Here is one for ya.

Schools (and government offices) will not be open for two days in Manila and Pasay due to an international conference being held near the Mall of Asia. Why? So traffic will be smooth for the dignitaries. 

groan.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

School closed here today because report cards are being distributed...

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 2
  • Sad 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

As long as the (daily) dancing and drumming practice sessions aren't compromised...all's well with the education system, and no worries about staffing McDs and Jollibees in the future. :no:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, graham59 said:

staffing McDs and Jollibees in the future

Hoping that the same thing does not happen here as in the states then. Where people are so uneducated that the only job they can have is at Mac's or Jolly and the traditional afterschool jobs are taken by adults.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

To be honest, it's tragic that millions of kids are being so short-changed with their 'education' here.

More to do with inflexibility and stupidity than poverty.  I've heard all the excuses.  

• Like 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, graham59 said:

More to do with inflexibility and stupidity than poverty.  I've heard all the excuses.  

It's planned. The last thing the people that run this country want is an educated electorate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

During my school years, we looked forward to typhoon season.  The rule was a Signal Two meant schools had to shut down.  This could happen in the middle of the day, and they would ring the dismissal bell.  No one went home.  Everyone went to downtown Manila.  The movie theaters were packed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

During my school years, we looked forward to typhoon season.  The rule was a Signal Two meant schools had to shut down.  This could happen in the middle of the day, and they would ring the dismissal bell.  No one went home.  Everyone went to downtown Manila.  The movie theaters were packed.

Usually our private school follows the the declaration of the Olongapo mayor.  A while back they cancelled based on signal 1, which they said was Deped guidance.  The mayor never cancelled and it was a nice day.

460025155_965815238683649_330536657039522758_n.jpg

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Same thing happens now in Hong Kong. Entertainment venues do a roaring trade. 

Farcical situation. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

As I was taking my walk yesterday, as I passed poor homes with passels of kids from toddlers to adolescents I had an epiphany.

Perhaps the poor think like farmers in the old days, have lots of kids and hopefully enough survive to help work the farm. But here, perhaps the thinking is, have lots of kids, pick out the smartest one, pour all your resources into educating that one kid, he/she will get a decent job as an OFW of some type and support the entire family. hmmmmmmm

thinker.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3