When to See Comet Tsuchinshan-ATLAS in PH

earthdome
Posted
Posted

When to See Tsuchinshan-ATLAS in PH

Based on the search results, Comet Tsuchinshan-ATLAS is expected to be visible in the western sky in the Philippines from October 14th to October 22nd. Here’s a breakdown of the viewing times:

October 14th: Look west about 20-40 minutes after sunset (approximately 6:45 pm) and find the comet about 18° above the horizon.
Between October 14th and October 22nd: The comet will become visible a little higher in the sky and set a little later each night.
Note that the comet will be best visible with the naked eye, but binoculars and telescopes could help make it easier to spot. It’s expected to be as bright as Jupiter, making it a relatively easy target.

Remember to look westward around the specified times and find the comet at the indicated altitude above the horizon. Enjoy your viewing experience! 🌠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Liiving on the east side of metro manila I may need to drive to the province in order to see this. But maybe you could see it from MOA or other points on the manila bay.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

West is the direction of the center of CDO for us and further west is the bay but we're outside of the city and in the hills so the horizon won't be an issue.

I'll drag the binoculars out to the overlook at the edge of the subdivision and have a look if I can get a clear day (often cloudy that time of day here).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

West is the direction of the center of CDO for us and further west is the bay but we're outside of the city and in the hills so the horizon won't be an issue.

I'll drag the binoculars out to the overlook at the edge of the subdivision and have a look if I can get a clear day (often cloudy that time of day here).

That is my concern also. Late afternoon and early evening is often cloudy.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Be great to see some pictures if anyone can get some , just looking for information here in the UK about it , may pop out in the early evening just after sunset it says , never know might see it between the clouds 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

No luck tonight... cloudy

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, GeoffH said:

No luck tonight... cloudy

Same here, looking West from my part means looking over the mountains which is normally cloudy.

Try again in 80,000 years time.:mocking:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thought we would be able to see it this evening but some clouds came in off the ocean at the last minute. That was our last chance. We did see the northern lights again the other night.

Our weather forecast is rain until mid to late July 2025. 

• Haha 2

Lee
Posted
Posted

Comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan–ATLAS) is a bright streak in the sky in this photo taken from Angono Eastridge in Angono, Rizal at around 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 13, 2024. Believed to be hurtling towards the center of the solar system, the comet is currently visible in the northern hemisphere. Raymund C. Sarmiento/GMA New Media Inc.

Screenshot 2024-10-14 161009.png

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 10/14/2024 at 12:35 PM, Old55 said:

Our weather forecast is rain until mid to late July 2025. 

Folks in Seattle are still complaining because summer came on a Thursday this year and they had to work. :hystery:

• Haha 2