It’s back to Filipino and English, from kinder to Grade 3 classes

Lee
Posted
Posted

A new law returns the use of Filipino and English as the primary medium of instruction for young learners in their first four years in school about a decade after the use of regional or native languages proved difficult and unsuccessful.

A bill that discontinued the use of “mother tongue” as the medium of instruction from kindergarten to Grade 3 lapsed into law as Republic Act No. 12027 on Oct. 10. It states that Filipino and English will again be used in accordance with the 1987 Constitution.

The new law said that “regional languages shall serve as auxiliary media of instruction.”

It amended Republic Act No. 10533, or the 2013 Enhanced Basic Education Act, which required that instruction, teaching materials and assessment for kindergarten and grades 1 to 3 pupils should be in the regional or native language of the learners.

Monolingual classes

The new measure—a consolidation of House Bill No. 6717 and Senate Bill No. 2457—was transmitted to President Marcos on Sept. 9. Mr. Marcos did not sign the consolidated bill and it lapsed into law after 30 days.

The amendment to the Enhanced Basic Education Act will be implemented within the current school year, which ends in April 2025.

RA 12027 provides that the mother tongue may still be used as a medium of instruction in a monolingual class, or a group of learners who speak the same regional or native language and are enrolled in the same grade level.

The use of the mother tongue as a medium of instruction in monolingual classes should be accompanied by an official orthography, or writing system, developed and published by the Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino (KWF), an officially documented vocabulary published by the KWF, literature on languages and culture and a grammar book.

There should be an adequate number of teachers in the school who speak and are trained to teach in the mother language, the law said.

RA 12027 orders the Department of Education (DepEd) and the KWF to develop a language mapping policy within one year and implement a language mapping framework to properly identify and classify learners based on their mother tongue to systematically determine the existence of monolingual classes each school year.

It’s back to Filipino and English, from kinder to Grade 3 classes (msn.com)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I sure hope this is a step in the right direction.  I have to admit that I am getting increasingly discouraged with the education system in general.  Last week the teacher of my nephew failed to show up for two days.  Then when he did show up there was no class because he is the volleyball coach and they had a game coming up.  I will not post what I am feeling because it would entail a lot of fowl language.  :bash:

• Sad 5

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike J said:

I sure hope this is a step in the right direction.  I have to admit that I am getting increasingly discouraged with the education system in general.  Last week the teacher of my nephew failed to show up for two days.  Then when he did show up there was no class because he is the volleyball coach and they had a game coming up.  I will not post what I am feeling because it would entail a lot of fowl language.  :bash:

Had the same situation last year.  Our oldest goes to public school (his choice), his class teacher was involved in a school volleyball comp, not even the school he attends but another nearby.  Needless to say there was no lesson that day, 50 kids had to go without education because she felt it more important to sod off elsewhere and of course the Principle never bothered to cover the class with a substitute teacher.  Same happened the very next day (I assume they had progressed in the tournament).  The following week it happened gain, another day off, same reason and again no substitute teacher.  So, in total, 50 kids missed 3 days of schooling.  1,200 school hours kicked into touch.  No wonder most kids here (and many teachers) don't know their arses from their elbows. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

From my experience, too many of the teachers are unable to speak English so teaching in English would be impossible.  Passing laws with no enforcement is a waste of time. 

Have you ever met anyone here that knew actually knows the traffic  rules?  No, not even the police officers have a clue.  Do not hold your breath thinking things will change.  Most people here like things just the way they are.  The politicians pass new laws in just a form of entertainment here.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Presumably IF time can be found outside  of dancing and drumming . :89:

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Teaching in the local vernacular until the 3rd grade was a concession to a nationalist movement.  The private schools said, "No." and continued to use English.  Glad to hear the public schools' experiment is over.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, graham59 said:

Presumably IF time can be found outside  of dancing and drumming . :89:

You forgot cell phone use?

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Indeed sir.

Should be banned from all school premises IMO. 

In fact, the worst thing to happen to the current generation...IMO.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 10/14/2024 at 8:28 AM, Mike J said:

Happens to my wifes family on a weekly basis.   I commented just the other day about how little they have actually been in school this year (and when they are there, same as your comment above).   It really is criminal

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

Most people here like things just the way they are

I completely disagree with this.   I would say from a generational basis, they have come to accept/expect it, with zero hope of things every changing.  Part of the reason there is no fn motivation to improve ones lot in life, let alone ones brain power. 

• Like 5