It’s back to Filipino and English, from kinder to Grade 3 classes

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Lee1154 said:

From my experience, too many of the teachers are unable to speak English so teaching in English would be impossible.  Passing laws with no enforcement is a waste of time. 

Have you ever met anyone here that knew actually knows the traffic  rules?  No, not even the police officers have a clue.  Do not hold your breath thinking things will change.  Most people here like things just the way they are.  The politicians pass new laws in just a form of entertainment here.

what is really f'd up is a vast majority of the text books are in english (at least Math and Science for sure).   They have no idea, zero fn comprehension what they are reading

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted
On 10/14/2024 at 8:14 AM, graham59 said:

Presumably IF time can be found outside  of dancing and drumming .

Hold on now.... my wife was a drummer her last two years in HS.... of course this was 1977 when her town had two trikes and no resident jeepney !!!! :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

American colleges and universities are cutting back the number of hours of lecture time lead by a professor because they are busy engaged in research.  This activity generates new revenues for the institution and prestige.  The classroom instruction is increasingly done by graduate students.  In the meantime, cost of private education at the college level can cost as much as $50,000 per year.  Wonder if something similar is happening in the Philippines.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

what is really f'd up is a vast majority of the text books are in english (at least Math and Science for sure).   They have no idea, zero fn comprehension what they are reading

I think having the math and science books in English makes a lot of sense.  A single version can be used throughout the country, English is taught as a second language starting in grade one (or even earlier), and math and science are both objective universal subjects.  A bigger problem/issue I think is lack of Math/Science knowledge on the part of the instructor.  

I bought coffee and snacks for my wife and I a month or so back.  The total came to 310 peso.  I gave the clerk 510 peso.  She gave back the 10 peso, used her calculator, then gave me 190 peso in change.  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Spot-on sir. 

My 9 year-old is already ahead of most of his teachers and classmates.

I taught him mental arithmetic !  :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Spot-on sir. 

My 9 year-old is already ahead of most of his teachers and classmates.

I taught him mental arithmetic !  :thumbsup:

I need to teach my 6 year old daughter to do percentages in her head so she can answer what is 40% off this price when my wife shops clearance in the US. She isn't ready yet but perhaps in a couple years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Possum
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

The school we use now uses no multiple question tests, students have to write their answers out. Math word problems too. This helps with comprehension. Teacher have always liked multiple question tests, easier to grade.

• Like 5

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mike J said:

English is taught as a second language starting in grade one (or even earlier), and math and science are both objective universal subjects.

ahhh this explains why english is spoken so fluently here (nosebleed) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
On 10/15/2024 at 6:02 PM, craftbeerlover said:

I read a debate among Filipinos concerning English vs. Tagalog being used for education.  One Filipino pointed out that English was necessary for teaching science and math since their language did not even have words for a lot of the topics.

• Like 3

longway
Posted
Posted
On 10/16/2024 at 5:10 AM, craftbeerlover said:

ahhh this explains why english is spoken so fluently here (nosebleed) 

I have never heard a group of filipinos using English when talking together in a group. Whtaever is being taught is not being used.