It’s back to Filipino and English, from kinder to Grade 3 classes

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, longway said:

I have never heard a group of filipinos using English when talking together in a group. Whtaever is being taught is not being used.

I have but only the wealthy Filipinos.    I always cringe when I hear people state most Filipinos can speak English.  It is criminal that their fn school books are in English, as they have no fricken clue what they are reading (yes of course there are exceptions)

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee1154 said:

I read a debate among Filipinos concerning English vs. Tagalog being used for education.  One Filipino pointed out that English was necessary for teaching science and math since their language did not even have words for a lot of the topics.

Yes the tagalog language is quite limited.  But for fck sake they have had decades upon decades upon decades to fix this cluster fck.    If the text books are in English one would "ASSUME" they should be able to speak and comprehend English.   The entire education department seemed to overlook this.  Are they morons or do they just not give a shit (or both)?

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, longway said:

I have never heard a group of filipinos using English when talking together in a group.

During televised hearings, members of Congress seem to bloviate quite a bit in English.

Never understood this---why not speak Tagalog or Filipino so that the viewing audience can possibly follow along?

During Covid, the TV channel that was set up to help teach school modules often had students from UP debate in English. They were quite good at it IMO.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Lee said:

During televised hearings, members of Congress seem to bloviate quite a bit in English.

Never understood this---why not speak Tagalog or Filipino so that the viewing audience can possibly follow along?

During Covid, the TV channel that was set up to help teach school modules often had students from UP debate in English. They were quite good at it IMO.

To show their eloquence. 

Of course, it doesn't impress anyone but perhaps they think it does. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

:89:   can anyone here tell me of a Legal or Government Form that is Not in English?

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

I have but only the wealthy Filipinos.    I always cringe when I hear people state most Filipinos can speak English.  It is criminal that their fn school books are in English, as they have no fricken clue what they are reading (yes of course there are exceptions)

In my experience all government workers are fluent in English, also the vast majority of workers in the stores and malls.  I realize that is not "most" Filipinos by any stretch of the imagination.  It does however tell me that employers who deal in services or retail want employees who can speak/understand English.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 10/14/2024 at 5:58 AM, Mike J said:

I sure hope this is a step in the right direction.  I have to admit that I am getting increasingly discouraged with the education system in general.  Last week the teacher of my nephew failed to show up for two days.  Then when he did show up there was no class because he is the volleyball coach and they had a game coming up.  I will not post what I am feeling because it would entail a lot of fowl language.  :bash:

I am so damn mad I could chew nails and spit out tacks.  My nephew will have NO SCHOOL this week because his teacher is a volleyball coach and they have no substitute teachers.  My nephews father was my favorite bro-in-law.  He died of cancer when my nephew, Ibo, was 18 months old.  I promised him before he passed that we would make sure Ibo would be able to attend university.  We were supposed to adopt Ibo but the wife changed her mind after bro-in-law passed.  So we do what we can but I am beginning to fear it will not be enough to allow Ibo a chance to rise out of poverty. :sad:

• Sad 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, longway said:

group of filipinos using English when talking together in a group

In general, I agree with you. But I have been surprised several times while in a supermarket or mall when I hear a perfect California accent. Usually between parents and their kids. Sometimes I stop and talk with them to find out where they are from. They usually say from a place like Ayala Alabang or one of the other exclusive areas.  

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I am so damn mad I could chew nails and spit out tacks.  My nephew will have NO SCHOOL this week because his teacher is a volleyball coach and they have no substitute teachers.  My nephews father was my favorite bro-in-law.  He died of cancer when my nephew, Ibo, was 18 months old.  I promised him before he passed that we would make sure Ibo would be able to attend university.  We were supposed to adopt Ibo but the wife changed her mind after bro-in-law passed.  So we do what we can but I am beginning to fear it will not be enough to allow Ibo a chance to rise out of poverty. :sad:

I feel your angst, and have felt it for over a decade.   My heart breaks when I see the education my extended family is not receiving.  We come here for some carthartic release, while knowing nothing is ever going to change.   Individually many of us do what we can on a very very very small scale, and just go on from there.   Yeah it pisses me off too, really pisses me off.   There were many places we were looking at to live, but not having a good school nearby cancelled out about 98 percent of places we would like to live.  We did find a school for our son, which fortunately or unfortunately dictates where we will live, but we are both willing to make that sacrifice for his education.    All I really need is a good cup of coffee in the morning, a hot shower, good beer at night, some decent music, decent food and.... hahahaha actually that list goes on longer than I thought

• Like 2