SpaceX conducts fifth Starship test flight, returns Super Heavy booster for the first time

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Wow, amazing to watch that BFR return to the launch pad and slowly descend and be caught.   Go to the URL to see the video of the  booster being caught.  Note -  Elon Musk has recently become a somewhat controversial figure.  This topic is about the Starship program and not about his political thoughts and/or comments.  Please remember that political comments are not allowed on the forum.   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/spacex-conducts-fifth-starship-test-flight-returns-super-heavy-booster-for-the-first-time/ar-AA1scijN?ocid=windirect&cvid=7b914e8e7fc0407281430e327a797cfb&ei=15

Elon Musk's SpaceX (SPACE) on Sunday conducted a fifth test flight of its Starship, the world's most powerful launch vehicle, in which it successfully returned the rocket's massive first stage booster back to a launch pad for the first time ever using giant mechanical arms.

The test flight marked another step forward in Starship's ultimate goal to become a commercial fully reusable rocket with a payload capacity of 100 to 150 tons, and for transportation of humans to the moon and eventually Mars.

The towering vehicle lifted off from SpaceX's launch facilities near Boca Chica Beach in south Texas at 0725 CT (0825 ET) on Sunday. After takeoff and ascent, the second stage of the rocket separated while the first stage - the Super Heavy booster - came back to the launch pad and was captured by the mechanical arms that have been dubbed "Mechazilla" by the company. 

"Following a successful liftoff, ascent, stage separation, boostback burn, and coast, the Super Heavy booster performed its landing burn and was caught by the chopstick arms of the launch and catch tower at Starbase," SpaceX (SPACE) said in a statement.

Elon Musk noted the event on his X social media platform. See here for a video of the capture shared by the company.

"Prior to catch, Starship executed another successful hot-staging separation, igniting its six Raptor engines and completing ascent into outer space. It coasted along its planned trajectory to the other side of the planet before executing a controlled reentry, passing through the phases of peak heating and maximum aerodynamic pressure, before executing a flip, landing burn, and splashdown at its target area in the Indian Ocean," SpaceX (SPACE) added.

Starship's initial three test flights ended in flames in various stages of testing as the vehicle eventually exploded. The company successfully completed a full flight for the first time in June on the fourth attempt.

"Congratulations to SpaceX on its successful booster catch and fifth Starship flight test today! As we prepare to go back to the Moon under Artemis, continued testing will prepare us for the bold missions that lie ahead - including to the South Pole region of the Moon and then on to Mars," Bill Nelson, administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, said.  

SpaceX (SPACE) only secured U.S. Federal Aviation Administration approval for the fifth test flight on Saturday. The company had earlier said the regulator had indicated an approval wouldn't be granted until late November, a timeline that SPACE had criticized.

Some of SpaceX's (SPACE) competitors include Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin, Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic (SPCE), and Boeing (BA).  

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Watched it live on the internet. Awesome!! Wish I could see in person.

Three vacations to FL to try and see a space shuttle launch. On one of those vacations went to the cape three days in a row. Cancelled everytime. Never did see a launch.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Watched it live on the internet. Awesome!! Wish I could see in person.

Three vacations to FL to try and see a space shuttle launch. On one of those vacations went to the cape three days in a row. Cancelled everytime. Never did see a launch.

We took the NASA tour about 15 years ago.  I enjoyed it, definitely worthwhile in my opinion.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here is a video.  Very amazing.  This is what is making these launches affordable, something the government did not care about.  I don't know how they control that huge thing!

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't know how they control that huge thing!

Appears to be a combination of gimbals on the engines and those "paddle" looking extensions at the top of the booster?  Absolutely amazing!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I just saw this post on X.  These things are designed to ultimately be capable of being launch capable again after one hour!  Personally, if I was going to launch using one I would like to take a little more time for inspections!  But it is an amazing goal!

Screenshot (1338).png

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Climate Activists Glue Selves To SpaceX Rocket

6349cee312c346349cee312c35.jpg

• Haha 3