Palace backs plan to probe killings

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This could turn into a real political battle if the PNP does a real and complete investigation into to the extrajudicial killings during the Duterte administration.  It appears the "marriage of convenience" between the Marcos and Duterte camp is over for good.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/palace-backs-plan-to-probe-killings/ar-AA1so0xf?cvid=ac65fc7987a74f57fedd08e0fb3214e1&ei=27

(UPDATES) MALACAÑANG on Wednesday said it supports the plan of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to reinvestigate the high-profile killings related to the war on illegal drugs during the administration of former president Rodrigo Duterte.

In a statement, Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin said the possible reopening of the investigation showed that the Marcos administration "places the highest importance" on justice and rule of law.

"Of course," Bersamin said when asked if Malacañang supports the PNP's move.

"The reopening of the investigations of the... killings related to the war on drugs should indicate that the Marcos administration places the highest importance on the fair dispensation of justice and on the universal observance of the rule of law in the country," he added.

PNP spokesman Jean Fajardo earlier said they would look into the drug-war related killings, particularly the elected officials and other well-known personalities who were killed at the height of the anti-drug campaign.

Retired police colonel Royina Garma told the quad panel on October 11 that Duterte and other high-ranking officials from his administration sanctioned covert operations replicating the Davao City model on a national scale to provide rewards to police officers who killed drug suspects.

In her affidavit, Garma said that Duterte contacted her about the creation of a national task force, and among the key figures in implementing the scheme was Col. Edilberto Leonardo.

Garma said Leonardo purportedly collaborated with Duterte and his aide, now Sen. Bong Go, to establish a task force comprising "liquidators" nationwide. Go has denied the existence of a reward system for drug killings and said as Duterte's aide, he had no role in police operations.

Garma said Leonardo conducted briefings for all Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency officials and even chiefs of the PNP. He also had the final authority on who would be on the watchlist.

But Salvador Panelo, Duterte's former spokesman and presidential legal counsel, dismissed Garma's testimony as "pure imagination or fertile speculation."

Panelo also questioned Garma's knowledge of the operations, saying her information only came from "hearsay" and "conveyed or relayed to her by sources."

She might have "succumbed to threat or intimidation under pain of incarceration if she did not make the allegations contained in her affidavit," he said.

Money trail

Meanwhile, two co-chairmen of the House Quad Committee said they are seeking the help of the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) in tracking the money trail that was allegedly used to reward police officers in Duterte's war on drugs.

Garma had told the committee that the cash rewards for carrying out the so-called extrajudicial killings were funneled through the banking system.

Human Rights Committee chairman and Manila Rep. Bienvenido Abante Jr. said those who profited from the killings "must be held accountable, and the AMLC is key to tracking down these illicit transactions that led to the deaths of innocent civilians."

Public Order and Safety chairman and Laguna Rep. Danilo Fernandez said that the use of "financial institutions for illegal activities is a serious crime."

"We will follow every lead to ensure that those responsible face justice," he said.

The quad panel plans to formally request the assistance of the AMLC within the week to shed light on the full extent of the money trail behind the previous administration's anti-drug campaign.

The two members of the panel also called on police officers who received cash rewards to come forward.

"Your testimony could be critical to uncovering the truth. This is the time to speak up," Abante said.

"We are giving those involved a chance to help clear the air and ensure justice is served," Fernandez added.

At a press briefing on Wednesday, Abante questioned the ability of Sen. Ronald Dela Rosa to conduct a fair Senate investigation into the war on drugs, which he led as chief PNP during the Duterte administration.

Abante said he believed that Dela Rosa's close ties to the former president could compromise the integrity of the upcoming probe.

"I would think that he (Dela Rosa) would be more biased than actually balanced in that hearing," Abante said.

Despite his concerns, he welcomed the announced Senate investigation as a complement to the House probe, adding that it would be up to the former president to appear before either the Senate or the House quad committee.

"It's up to him actually ... Hopefully, he will come and say what he would like to say," Abante said, adding that they will monitor closely what he would say if he chooses to appear before the Senate.

Dela Rosa said that he believed the former president would attend a Senate hearing on the war on drugs if he invited him.

But he said he has not spoken to the former president yet.

Dela Rosa, who is also the target of an International Criminal Court (ICC) investigation, said he was not concerned about the House quad committee investigation because his conscience is clear, and there is no strong evidence against him.

"I have no fear. I am not directly involved in any way, except maybe in my official capacity as the chief PNP (CPNP). However, I can't monitor all my police 24/7 and what they do. Perhaps I have command responsibility as a CPNP. But if you say I have a direct hand in what is being done or what happened, I don't think they will link me," Dela Rosa said.

He denied that they had a reward system when he was PNP chief.

"I don't know that. If that happened, maybe they do it in a secretive manner that the people don't know about. But, honestly, I was not involved if there was anything like that. But ask me if that exists. I can't even say it exists because it's not to my knowledge," the senator said.

He also denied reward money was given for every drug lord or drug addict killed.

"I can't implement that, and I'm not impressed with that kind of system. I don't have the money to pay for that kind of reward system that does not have the mandate of the PNP chief," he said.

Dela Rosa added that he knows of no fund that was dedicated to that kind of reward system, even in former President Duterte's intelligence funds.

Senate President Pro Tempore Jinggoy Estrada said it was crucial to include Duterte in the Senate's investigation.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Due process when it suits you, until it doesn't.  How's El Presidentè's tax issues going?

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

This could turn into a real political battle if the PNP does a real and complete investigation into to the extrajudicial killings during the Duterte administration.  It appears the "marriage of convenience" between the Marcos and Duterte camp is over for good.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/palace-backs-plan-to-probe-killings/ar-AA1so0xf?cvid=ac65fc7987a74f57fedd08e0fb3214e1&ei=27

(UPDATES) MALACAÑANG on Wednesday said it supports the plan of the Philippine National Police (PNP) to reinvestigate the high-profile killings related to the war on illegal drugs during the administration of former president Rodrigo Duterte.

In a statement, Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin said the possible reopening of the investigation showed that the Marcos administration "places the highest importance" on justice and rule of law.

"Of course," Bersamin said when asked if Malacañang supports the PNP's move.

"The reopening of the investigations of the... killings related to the war on drugs should indicate that the Marcos administration places the highest importance on the fair dispensation of justice and on the universal observance of the rule of law in the country," he added.

PNP spokesman Jean Fajardo earlier said they would look into the drug-war related killings, particularly the elected officials and other well-known personalities who were killed at the height of the anti-drug campaign.

Retired police colonel Royina Garma told the quad panel on October 11 that Duterte and other high-ranking officials from his administration sanctioned covert operations replicating the Davao City model on a national scale to provide rewards to police officers who killed drug suspects.

In her affidavit, Garma said that Duterte contacted her about the creation of a national task force, and among the key figures in implementing the scheme was Col. Edilberto Leonardo.

Garma said Leonardo purportedly collaborated with Duterte and his aide, now Sen. Bong Go, to establish a task force comprising "liquidators" nationwide. Go has denied the existence of a reward system for drug killings and said as Duterte's aide, he had no role in police operations.

Garma said Leonardo conducted briefings for all Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency officials and even chiefs of the PNP. He also had the final authority on who would be on the watchlist.

But Salvador Panelo, Duterte's former spokesman and presidential legal counsel, dismissed Garma's testimony as "pure imagination or fertile speculation."

Panelo also questioned Garma's knowledge of the operations, saying her information only came from "hearsay" and "conveyed or relayed to her by sources."

She might have "succumbed to threat or intimidation under pain of incarceration if she did not make the allegations contained in her affidavit," he said.

Money trail

Meanwhile, two co-chairmen of the House Quad Committee said they are seeking the help of the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) in tracking the money trail that was allegedly used to reward police officers in Duterte's war on drugs.

Garma had told the committee that the cash rewards for carrying out the so-called extrajudicial killings were funneled through the banking system.

Human Rights Committee chairman and Manila Rep. Bienvenido Abante Jr. said those who profited from the killings "must be held accountable, and the AMLC is key to tracking down these illicit transactions that led to the deaths of innocent civilians."

Public Order and Safety chairman and Laguna Rep. Danilo Fernandez said that the use of "financial institutions for illegal activities is a serious crime."

"We will follow every lead to ensure that those responsible face justice," he said.

The quad panel plans to formally request the assistance of the AMLC within the week to shed light on the full extent of the money trail behind the previous administration's anti-drug campaign.

The two members of the panel also called on police officers who received cash rewards to come forward.

"Your testimony could be critical to uncovering the truth. This is the time to speak up," Abante said.

"We are giving those involved a chance to help clear the air and ensure justice is served," Fernandez added.

At a press briefing on Wednesday, Abante questioned the ability of Sen. Ronald Dela Rosa to conduct a fair Senate investigation into the war on drugs, which he led as chief PNP during the Duterte administration.

Abante said he believed that Dela Rosa's close ties to the former president could compromise the integrity of the upcoming probe.

"I would think that he (Dela Rosa) would be more biased than actually balanced in that hearing," Abante said.

Despite his concerns, he welcomed the announced Senate investigation as a complement to the House probe, adding that it would be up to the former president to appear before either the Senate or the House quad committee.

"It's up to him actually ... Hopefully, he will come and say what he would like to say," Abante said, adding that they will monitor closely what he would say if he chooses to appear before the Senate.

Dela Rosa said that he believed the former president would attend a Senate hearing on the war on drugs if he invited him.

But he said he has not spoken to the former president yet.

Dela Rosa, who is also the target of an International Criminal Court (ICC) investigation, said he was not concerned about the House quad committee investigation because his conscience is clear, and there is no strong evidence against him.

"I have no fear. I am not directly involved in any way, except maybe in my official capacity as the chief PNP (CPNP). However, I can't monitor all my police 24/7 and what they do. Perhaps I have command responsibility as a CPNP. But if you say I have a direct hand in what is being done or what happened, I don't think they will link me," Dela Rosa said.

He denied that they had a reward system when he was PNP chief.

"I don't know that. If that happened, maybe they do it in a secretive manner that the people don't know about. But, honestly, I was not involved if there was anything like that. But ask me if that exists. I can't even say it exists because it's not to my knowledge," the senator said.

He also denied reward money was given for every drug lord or drug addict killed.

"I can't implement that, and I'm not impressed with that kind of system. I don't have the money to pay for that kind of reward system that does not have the mandate of the PNP chief," he said.

Dela Rosa added that he knows of no fund that was dedicated to that kind of reward system, even in former President Duterte's intelligence funds.

Senate President Pro Tempore Jinggoy Estrada said it was crucial to include Duterte in the Senate's investigation.

I am as skeptical as the rest of you, but again, at least it seems he continues moving in the right direction, and not just with words.

• Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

I see it  as a dog and pony show to impress the world stage in an effort to say they are doing something (now give us your aide money!). They might even have a few show trials, convict a few low ranking officers (who will plead that they were just following orders) and perhaps even find a higher ranking officer to use as a scapegoat. Kind of reminds me of Nuremberg after war two. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gator said:

I see it  as a dog and pony show to impress the world stage in an effort to say they are doing something (now give us your aide money!). They might even have a few show trials, convict a few low ranking officers (who will plead that they were just following orders) and perhaps even find a higher ranking officer to use as a scapegoat. Kind of reminds me of Nuremberg after war two. 

Well, he is standing up to China, he has greatly improved relations (defense and economically/trade) with Australia, Japan, South Korea, USA, Vietnam, Malaysia, Germany, France, etc...   He has closed down a billion dollar pogo industry (that I am sure took a lot of money out of alot of filipino high rollers).   Clamping down on smuggling of vegetables etc.  If it is just for show then I would rather the show head in this direction.   This country is so fck'd up no matter what anybody does, we will all be skeptical, but somebody has got to start somewhere.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Well, he is standing up to China, he has greatly improved relations (defense and economically/trade) with Australia, Japan, South Korea, USA, Vietnam, Malaysia, Germany, France, etc...   He has closed down a billion dollar pogo industry (that I am sure took a lot of money out of alot of filipino high rollers).   Clamping down on smuggling of vegetables etc.  If it is just for show then I would rather the show head in this direction.   This country is so fck'd up no matter what anybody does, we will all be skeptical, but somebody has got to start somewhere.

You are correct.

I may have been wrong about Bong Bong. My wife and our Filipino family members all like him and fondly remember his Dad.