Philippine VP Duterte threatens to dig up dictator Marcos' remains

Lee
Posted
Posted

IMO Marcos remains should have remained in Ilocos Norte as previously agreed.

MANILA: Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte threatened on Friday (Oct 18) to dig up the remains of President Ferdinand Marcos' dictator father and toss them into the sea, as their bitter feud heats up ahead of upcoming elections.

The Duterte and Marcos families have had a very public falling out as both attempt to shore up their rival support bases and secure key positions ahead of the midterm elections next year and presidential polls in 2028.

The remains of the elder Marcos were laid to rest at the "Cemetery of Heroes" in 2016 after then-president Rodrigo Duterte, Sara's father, dismissed public criticism that the long-deceased dictator - accused of widespread rights abuses and embezzling billions - did not deserve the honour.

Sara Duterte, 46, told reporters on Friday she had relayed the exhumation threat to the incumbent president's elder sister, Senator Imee Marcos, and warned their family to stop harassing her.

"One of these days, I will go there. I will get the body of your father and throw it in the West Philippine Sea," Duterte said, using the Filipino name for the portion of the South China Sea claimed by Manila.

Marcos' spokesman Cesar Chavez said the presidential palace had no comment on the issue.

The US-China factor in Philippines’ Marcos-Duterte feud comes to the fore

Duterte is facing impeachment threats in the House of Representatives, led by Marcos's cousin Martin Romualdez, who is also expected to run in 2028.

She quit her Cabinet post of education secretary in June after relations between the two families reached breaking point.

Months earlier, her father had accused Marcos of being a "drug addict", with the president hitting back the next day and claiming his predecessor's health was failing due to long-term use of the powerful opioid fentanyl.

Neither provided evidence of their allegations.

On Friday, the vice president said she felt "used" after teaming up with Marcos for the May 2022 election, which they won by a landslide.

"It's not my fault that we are on this road to hell," the younger Duterte said during a two-hour news conference where she did most of the talking.

"That's why I left the administration (because) I did not like what I was hearing there, I did not like what I was seeing there".

Duterte remains the constitutional successor to 67-year-old Marcos.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/sara-duterte-philippine-vice-president-threatens-dig-up-remains-president-ferdinand-marcos-father-4687466

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Anyone ever see "When Harry met Sally"?  Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan.  Couple falls in love, are happy, then it goes sour.  It's probably most famous for the scene where Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm in a crowded diner. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

It's probably most famous for the scene where Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm in a crowded diner. 

I'll have what she's having.  :hystery:

image.jpeg

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Anyone ever see "When Harry met Sally"?  Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan.  Couple falls in love, are happy, then it goes sour.  It's probably most famous for the scene where Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm in a crowded diner. 

Meg Ryan. Cute and funny. 

• Like 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Lee said:

Didn't one article call SD demure a while back.

• Haha 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, baronapart said:

Didn't one article call SD demure a while back.

They did but she is like her father, Revenge above all and best served cold :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted

Sara Duterte should seek ‘psychological assessment’ – lawmaker

In the good old days, impertinent comments like this could get you jailed, exiled from the country, and shot down on an airport tarmac.

You might even get an airport named after you if you're lucky. LOL

MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Sara Duterte should seek a “psychological assessment” following her “deeply alarming” threats against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and his family, a lawmaker said on Sunday.

In a press conference on Friday, Oct. 17, Duterte revealed she warned the President’s sister, Sen. Imee Marcos, that if political attacks from the administration persisted, she would exhume the body of former president Ferdinand Marcos Sr. and throw it into the West Philippine Sea.

Duterte also admitted to having imagined cutting off Marcos Jr.’s head.

In a statement on Sunday, House Assistant Majority Leader and Zambales 1st District Rep. Jay Khongkun expressed “deep alarm” over Duterte’s remarks.

According to Khongkun, no sane person would either think or make such statements.

“No reasonable person would conceive of, much less make, this kind of statement. The level of irrationality in her words is deeply alarming,” Khongkun said in Filipino.

He also noted that Duterte’s “violent and grotesque threats show a troubling level of instability.”

“She should undergo a thorough psychological assessment to be sure that she can still serve the country given this critical position,” he added in Filipino.

Khongkun also pointed out that Duterte’s statements reveal issues beyond “misusing public funds.”

“The alarming behavior of the Vice President reveals a deeper problem that needs to be addressed,” he added.

For House Assistant Majority Leader and La Union 1st District Rep. Paolo Ortega V, Duterte’s statements bear serious implications, potential dangers, and consequences for the nation’s leadership.

“This kind of violent and frightening statement is unacceptable from anyone, especially from a sitting Vice President. Clearly, there are serious questions about their mental and emotional state,” he said in Filipino.

Ortega also reminded the public that the country deserves leaders who are mentally and emotionally stable, especially during challenging times.

Sara Duterte should seek ‘psychological assessment’ – lawmaker

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

As mayor of Davao there was a widely criticized incident when she punched a court sheriff.  So much for demure. :whistling:  But I do have to admire that right cross. :shock_40_anim_gif:

source https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/files/2011/07/sara-duterte.jpg

sara-duterte.jpg

• Thanks 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

I don't see how SD can possibly walk these comments back. What possible excuse/lie could she use to explain this stupidity?

Is this the type of leadership that the PI can expect as she is a heartbeat away from being president?

DoJ studies legal action vs VP Sara

THE Department of Justice (DoJ) is exploring potential legal action against Vice President Sara Duterte following her recent threat to exhume the remains of President Ferdinand E. Marcos Sr. and her admission that she daydreams of beheading his son, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

"We're looking at the legal aspects. We are conducting a study," Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla told reporters on Monday on the sidelines of a Supreme Court event held at the Manila Hotel.

In a two-hour press briefing on October 18, Vice President Duterte indicated her willingness to exhume the remains of the President's father and dump them in the West Philippine Sea should the political attacks against her persist.

Her father, former president Rodrigo Duterte, facilitated Marcos Sr.'s burial at the Libingan ng mga Bayani in 2016, an act that had sparked significant controversy and protests from human rights advocates and victims of Martial Law.

"There were many moral principles that were violated. It is very disturbing for a person in her position to issue such statements and it is a moral hazard for us to be hearing such remarks from a person in her position," Remulla said.

Read more: DoJ studies legal action vs VP Sara