Marine Corps veteran is kicked off Delta aircraft over 'threatening' T-shirt

Lee
Posted
Posted

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13977447/Passenger-kicked-Delta-flight-T-shirt-Catherine-Banks-San-Francisco-California.html?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

A California veteran was booted off a Delta Air Lines flight because her T-shirt that featured a message about veteran suicide rates in the U.S.

Catherine Banks was supposed to fly out of San Francisco on Wednesday, but instead she was forced off the plane by a flight attendant who found her shirt 'threatening.'

The shirt read: 'Do not give in to the war within. End veteran suicide.'

The shirt read: 'Do not give in to the war within. End veteran suicide.'

But it wasn't until she disembarked and stood on the jet bridge that the attendant told her why she was asked to get off the plane.

'He said that shirt you're wearing is threatening,' Banks told NBC. 

'I said, "Are you kidding me? I'm a Marine Corps vet. I'm going to see my Marine sister. I'm going to see my Marine sister. I've been in the Marine Corps for 22 years and worked for the Air Force for 15 years. I'm going to visit her."'

But the flight attendant was unmoved by Banks' service record.

'He said, "I don't care about your service, and I don't care about her service. The only way you're going to get back on the plane is if you take it off right now."'

Banks called the experience 'humiliating' and the incident delayed the flight 

Because she wasn't wearing a bra, Banks had to turn her back to the flight attendant while she put on her sweatshirt. 

When the Marine Corps vet was finally let back on the plane, she was not allowed sit in the extra-legroom seat for which she had paid an extra fee.

Instead, she was instructed to sit in the back of the plane. 

The flight was delayed, which caused Banks to miss her connecting flight. 

Banks called the experience 'humiliating.'

'I feel like they just took my soul away. I'm not a bad person, and that T-shirt. I should be allowed to support myself and veterans.' 

According to United Service Organizations, veteran suicides are currently at a record high. 

In 2021, research established that '30,177 active duty personnel and veterans who served in the military after 9/11 have died by suicide - compared to the 7,057 killed in combat in those same 20 years,' the U.S.O. states on its website. 

The shirt Banks was wearing is sold by the Til Valhalla Project, a group that commemorates soldiers by raising money for families so that they can purchase memorial plaques that honor their loved ones. 

When the Marine Corps vet was finally let back on the plane, she was not allowed sit in the extra-legroom seat for which she had paid an extra fee

They also help struggling veterans pay for therapy sessions. 

Banks said that the T-shirt summed up the work she did for other veterans. In 2016, she received media attention for her attempt to raise $150,000 to make the home of a Marine who lost his arms and legs in Afghanistan more accessible.

When asked at the time why she felt the need to help other veterans, she said: 'I just have to.

'I won't feel complete if I don't reach out and see if there is anything I can do.' 

A spokesperson for the airline told DailyMail.com that the situation has since been 'resolved.'

'The matter with the customer has been resolved. We appreciate her patience as we continue to work to understand what occurred during this event. Most importantly, we are thankful for her service to our country.'

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

While the FA sounds like they are behind the eight ball here.... the fact the flight was being delayed means the captain/pilot had to be involved the decision.  

As someone who served in the Marines... I will say this story opened my eyes on the number of suicides versus killed in combat since 9/11. I actually feel more bad for being ignorant on this than mad at Delta.  Now I know.

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

"Not all scars are visible". 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Lee said:

A spokesperson for the airline told DailyMail.com that the situation has since been 'resolved.'

WTH does that mean?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike J said:

WTH does that mean?

I've been hunting around for any follow up articles but the only thing I can find are a veterans mental health organisation offering to help. 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

As someone who served in the Marines... I will say this story opened my eyes on the number of suicides versus killed in combat since 9/11. I actually feel more bad for being ignorant on this than mad at Delta.  Now I know.

As unfortunate as the incident is, there is an upside:  Awareness is raised. 

As some of you know, veteran mental health is something very close to my heart.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Joey G said:

While the FA sounds like they are behind the eight ball here.... the fact the flight was being delayed means the captain/pilot had to be involved the decision.  

These types of stories involving veterans really piss me off.  First thought is, FA should be fired, but you are correct, pilot had to be involved.

How could even a "super woke" imbecile look at the shirt and feel threatened?  Friggin world has gone nuts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1