Teachers Soon To Enjoy P9,000 Salary Increase

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

WoW and only spread over 3 years CEBU - More than 500,000 teachers in the country will soon be receiving a P9,000 salary increase to be staggered at P3,000 per year in three years.This was announced yesterday by Department of Education Secretary Jesli Lapus, who was the guest of honor during the Teachers

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Good to see that. It probably should be more but at least it is a start. Teaching is one of the most important jobs in any country yet sadly they are often poorly compensated for this important and often stressful job.

KeithAngel
Posted
Posted

My partner is a teacher of English (and now Cebuano)in the private sector and her wages with an increase just in are 11,200peso befor stoppages a month she has a Ma Ed and her contract wilst saying how highly skilled she is never the less gaves her no ability to lead a reasonable lifestyle.The rewards for her employers though are considerable at $1000 us dollars (or 90,000 peso for the average of 2 students she teaches) a month per student a very different situation from the public school sector which I presume suffers from under funding, untill this is rectified all teachers are in an explotative situation and the education system will never gain the excellence needed to raise standards and compete with the worldWhen we looked at housing the cheapest 2 bed quite small was 8000 a month way outside her ability to pay but nothing special. Untill teachers are properly rewarded I guess standards will generaly remain low and it must be difficult to be very motivated when you are close to or in a poverty trap and this must have an effect on moral and delivery of a good product.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
My partner is a teacher of English (and now Cebuano)in the private sector and her wages with an increase just in are 11,200peso befor stoppages a month she has a Ma Ed and her contract wilst saying how highly skilled she is never the less gaves her no ability to lead a reasonable lifestyle.The rewards for her employers though are considerable at $1000 us dollars (or 90,000 peso for the average of 2 students she teaches) a month per student a very different situation from the public school sector which I presume suffers from under funding, untill this is rectified all teachers are in an explotative situation and the education system will never gain the excellence needed to raise standards and compete with the worldWhen we looked at housing the cheapest 2 bed quite small was 8000 a month way outside her ability to pay but nothing special. Untill teachers are properly rewarded I guess standards will generaly remain low and it must be difficult to be very motivated when you are close to or in a poverty trap and this must have an effect on moral and delivery of a good product.
Most of the best usually just go elsewhere.

KeithAngel
Posted
Posted
Thats what we are doing Tom but of course that means the system gets left with the less than best

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Thats what we are doing Tom but of course that means the system gets left with the less than best
Yes exactly. It is happening in a lot of places. Hopefully they will begin to compensate them more in line with the importance of their work.