Maids / Home Helps

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have a helper 2 days a week. She is honest and hard working as the day is long. She has worked in Winland Towers and other condos and homes in Cebu City. She has 2 days a week available now, if anyone is looking for a p/t helper please pm me.

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Again, i think this just depends on the personal situation. Here in Australia we work our arse off ( on the farm ). but do we have a maid? no way, we do everything ourself as do probably 99.9% of all Aussies, so once we move to the Philippines and we are not working anymore and will be then just sitting on our arse, will we have a maid? No way!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Well I got lucky this time. I had decided not to get any more maids but sometimes my best laid plans don't work out. Now I am paying 500 a week for a lady to come in at 7:30 am and go home at 5:30. She is here 6 days a week and is always working. Never have to tell her what to do as when she sees work that needs doing she just does it. I save money on groceries as she is a much better shopper than my wife. I save money on massage as she does a decent job and all part of the service (self and wife . . each getting 2 massages a week). And the funny thing is we did not go looking for her. She came to us and said what we were offering was WAY better than the job she already had. But its only been 6 weeks so there is still time for this to end badly. I'll try to remember to post here if it does.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Well I got lucky this time. I had decided not to get any more maids but sometimes my best laid plans don't work out. Now I am paying 500 a week for a lady to come in at 7:30 am and go home at 5:30. She is here 6 days a week and is always working. Never have to tell her what to do as when she sees work that needs doing she just does it. I save money on groceries as she is a much better shopper than my wife. I save money on massage as she does a decent job and all part of the service (self and wife . . each getting 2 massages a week). And the funny thing is we did not go looking for her. She came to us and said what we were offering was WAY better than the job she already had. But its only been 6 weeks so there is still time for this to end badly. I'll try to remember to post here if it does.
That's 500p per week? 6 days?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
That's 500p per week? 6 days?
Yes. I really want to pay more as I feel she is worth it but every time I mention it to my tiny wife she just about slaps me upside the head and says don't do that. It helps to keep in mind that I live in the province. Jobs for unskilled workers are hard to get so she is thrilled to get 500P, be home every night and get Sundays off. Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Again, i think this just depends on the personal situation. Here in Australia we work our arse off ( on the farm ). but do we have a maid? no way, we do everything ourself as do probably 99.9% of all Aussies, so once we move to the Philippines and we are not working anymore and will be then just sitting on our arse, will we have a maid? No way!
I hear ya but I didn't have a gf when I arrived and just having someone buy and cook healthy food a couple times a week so I wasn't eating fast food and roadside crap every day was a huge help. That and help negotiating this strange new world was well worth it.

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I hear ya but I didn't have a gf when I arrived and just having someone buy and cook healthy food a couple times a week so I wasn't eating fast food and roadside crap every day was a huge help. That and help negotiating this strange new world was well worth it.
Yep, as i said Mike, it depends on your personal situation and in your case you probably made a wise move. I've seen guys there with more than one maid, a yaya, a gardener, a driver and a bodyguard. With all those helpers i guess the locals would agree you DO need a bodyguard! I just don't know what these people actually do with their time if they have all these "helpers"

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Yep, as i said Mike, it depends on your personal situation and in your case you probably made a wise move. I've seen guys there with more than one maid, a yaya, a gardener, a driver and a bodyguard. With all those helpers i guess the locals would agree you DO need a bodyguard! I just don't know what these people actually do with their time if they have all these "helpers"
My guess is spending a lot of time organizing the helpers :no:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

When we visit our house on our vacations, we have a lady come in who also works for the extended family. The long term plan is that once we retire there she will come in during the days to help clean, do luandry do any cooking I dont want to. (that will be one of my retirement activities, cooking with local ingredients) and pretty much keep my Asawa company during the day (which means she's not bugging me all the time). She also brings her little girl when she is not in school (who I spoil outrageously). We pay her P400 a day that she is there. Since her extented family works for our extended family, I believe the long term plan is to help the little girl through school and i have no doubt that we will be her sponser in all her upcoming events (graduations, b-days, wedding etc). Most likely it will be her that takes care of us in our advanced years. You really have to love the sense of loyalty in the extended family and friend traditions in the Philippines.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Maids are members of a highly sophisticated intelligence gathering network. Whatever you say or do in the privacy of your home is fair game. It will become part of the gossip mill.

• Like 1